Broken Curse

Jiro was barely waking up by the time she arrived at his chamber. He groaned as he laid in his mattress and perked up at the sight of Rin coming in. The first thing he saw was the white mask on her face, not recognizing the painted details on it, but he recognized the gait, the shape of her body and the navy blue kimono he entrusted his servants to dress her with.

At first glance, he thought of the faceless oni, but the light energy she carried was undoubtably Rin. A smile curled up at the corner of his lips until those smile turned into the sound of happiness and relief.

"Rin!" Jiro was glad to see her safe.

Rin rushed, half stumbling trying to get to him. She threw her arms around his torso and burried her face on his chest. "I was so worried."

He chuckled and put a hand on the back of her head brushing her soft hair with his fingers. The oni might've given him one hell of a hard time but..."I beat that damn demon and chased it out of here."

Kurama who stood at the edge of the door made a face. Jiro had conviniently left him out of the story. If he can remember it correctly, Jiro was half spent by the time he arrived to lend a helping hand. If the story was correct, it was him who chased away the oni after Jiro fought for a while despite the heaviness of the curse poisoning his body.

Kurama began to open his mouth in protest but changed his mind suddenly. The fool is trying to impress a girl.

He shifted and made a gesture of his finger to Jiro mouthing, you owe me! Which Jiro readily acknowledged with a wink.

Rin soon lifted her head when she realized Jiro's features has reclaimed the same handsome face without the mess of feathers. His hair is long; silken as silk and sleek as oil. Wings spread loosely behind him.

He looked even better than the time when she saw his curse receeded not long ago. She stared at him taking in the immaculate details of him. "Jiro, your face..."

Jiro offered her a smile. He felt the curse still alive and lingering in his veins, but the effect of it is waning, especially with Rin openly showing her affection for him. Does it takes some kind of catasthrophy for her to drop her ego? Maybe? But he'll take it just as she gave them. He only wishes Rin wouldn't change her mind about her feelings for as long as the curse is still in his veins.

Just a little bit more, he thought. A little more love from her will free him from the curse completely. He wiped the dampness of her tears visible on the mask, noting its presence still. "I promise I will get you your face back." How was he supposed to kiss her without a mouth?

Rin only nodded her head without muttering anything. Jiro didn't have to promise anything. She believed him. She knew he'd do anything to get her face back. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck, vanishing more of the cursed feathers clinging on his back.

"Oh that's quite captivating to see." Murmured Shintaro with a tilt of his head. He had heard of the nasty curse placed on the tengu but seeing the curse clear itself like magic was fascinating to witness.

Jiro lifted a brow and turned his attention to the strange man. "Who the hell are you?"

Shintaro perked up and stretched an arm but stayed outside the master's chamber in respect. "My name is Shintaro and I'm a spirit world detective. I brought Rin back here to the red castle."

Jiro loosened his spine, the tightness in his muscles calm down. "That I owe to you. Please, let me know what I can do to pay back your kindness."

"It is my duty to protect spirits as an employee of the Spirit world government. I do not require payment."

"Very well, let me know what I could do to make your stay here a little more comfortable."

"Yes, as a matter of fact. I won't be staying long. I served my purpose bringing Rin back to her home safety. Now, I must go in pursuit of the faceless oni."

"Is that so?" Murmured Jiro. He began to rise out of his bed gripping for his katana on the side of his bed. "I hope you don't mind if I accompany you?"

Shintaro's eyes widened. He was not expecting the offer, and to be honest, he could use some help trying to catch the demon. "But lord Jiro...." He lowered his head to the floor. "What about your village? Who's going to look after your people?"

His gaze found Kurama readily. Silent interaction between the two spirits. "Kurama will be in charged while I'm gone." He turned his attention to Rin next, Jiro placed a gentle finger under her chin. He surveyed his black velvet eyes on her and the smooth surface of the canvas behind the mask feeling his rage swell on his chest. "I can't allow someone else to capture this demon, I must be the one to kill it."