15 - a goodnight

DESSERT, the sequel, was so much better. 

    The first thing Muse said to Adrien, upon arriving at their destination, was: "I think we need practice."

    "Practice?"

    "In less than a month, we're selling this lie to everyone. I mean, you're like New York's youngest, hottest billionaire. People will follow the story. So we need practice."

    Adrien pushed open the doors to the little dessert shop. Blue booths, glowing fishtanks, and waitresses in roller skates. She'd loved this place since Ezra had first shown it to her one night, years ago, stumbling home in the dark after a long night out. It was open 24/7, which she thought only added to the magic of it.

   "Okay," Adrien agreed. "Practice."

    The hostess that greeted them was in her mid-thirties, with bold lipstick and bottle-blonde hair. "Table for two?"

    Muse placed one hand on her stomach and rubbed in a circular motion. "Table for three soon."

    The hostess―whose name tag read Gertrude―balked at that. And then her customer-service smile returned in full force.

    "Of course. Follow me."

    As they hurried to catch up to the hostess, Adrien shot Muse a look. Muse grinned.

    Once they were seated down, Gertrude passed menus across the table. Her face, lit in the bioluminescent glow of the fish tanks, seemed more menacing than sincere. "Congratulations on the baby, by the way."

    "Oh, thanks," Muse said, relaxing into the booth. "We've been trying really hard."

    Gertrude's eyes slid to Adrien. And narrowed. As if she was piecing it together that we meant they were a couple.

    Under the table, Muse kicked Adrien, and Adrien figured this was her cue to add to the story. She swallowed.

    "Yeah, IVF didn't stick," she said. "But bone marrow's worked like a charm."

    "I can't say I'm upset." Muse reached across the table for Adrien's hands, and squeezed them. "If my babies end up looking like her, I'll die happy. A lesbian's gotta do what a lesbian's gotta do."

     "Wow, babe, you should make that a catchphrase."

     "I'll print it on a mug and give it to you for your birthday," Muse purred.

     Gertrude's eyebrows climbed higher, nearing her hairline. 

     A sudden idea lit in Adrien's mind. "Speaking of birthdays, you know, we're thinking of moving to Switzerland next year."

     "Switzerland?" Muse echoed. 

     Adrien smirked. It was her turn to take her fiancee aback. "Yes, Switzerland." She gave Gertrude a conspiratorial look and nodded in Muse's direction. "The American school system really failed this one. She thought we'd be able to make babies just by"―she lowered her voice into a whisper―"rawdogging it."

    Gertrude's lips, painted in deep, dark red, thinned into a disbelieving slash. "Raw . . . what now?"

    "Having lots of wild, unprotected sex. Can you believe it? That's why we're moving countries. Our children definitely won't be that uneducated going forward. Like, we're literally lesbians."

    "Hey!" Muse said. "That was just a silly mistake. Did you know she thought chocolate milk came from brown cows until, like, two weeks ago?"