36 - a ruining

"What?"

     "Hit me again."

     "Are you kidding me?"

      Adrien grabbed one of Muse's hands and lifted it to the space next to her cheek. Muse's hand felt small in her grip, but that had been one hell of a slap. Adrien let go, and Muse didn't lower her hand―it stayed hovering in the air by her face.

     "Tell me what this is about, or hit me again, Muse."

      Muse didn't move. Her hand remained poised in the air.

      "I lied to you," Adrien said. "I inherit the Vitale Enterprises no matter what. I stood there earlier, and told you everything was okay. We didn't have to get married, and I knew that."

      Muse took another step closer. She didn't even feel her hand moving, but she felt the resounding strike of her palm against Adrien's face. The clouds had disappeared entirely; moonlight bathed them both, illuminating the faint mark left behind on Adrien's skin.

      "Go on," Adrien said. "I fucked up. I know I did. I shouldn't have lied to you. I just . . . wasn't ready to lose you."

      Muse hit her again.

      "Ready to lose me?" Breathless. 

      "I know you're in this for the money, but I . . ."

      "Fuck the money, Adrien. You lied to me."

      "I'm sorry, Muse." Adrien's voice was deep, her breath soft in the air between them. She looked so striking―the sharp lines of her face, her body. The tuxedo she'd worn for the wedding was disheveled, the sleeves unbuttoned and the lapels uneven. The jacket had been pushed open to reveal the white dress shirt underneath, unbuttoned enough that Muse could see a smooth sliver of her chest. Her eyes glittered black like the ocean beside them, her hair pushed back from her face. 

      Muse's wife, who had lied to her. Who had betrayed her.

      "I hate you, Adrien Vitale," Muse whispered against Adrien's lips. 

    Adrien only stood there, wordless. Beautiful, so beautiful, even when she was guilty. It infuriated Muse even more. A low hum pulsed in her veins, like her blood had been replaced with gasoline. She felt as if she could catch on fire, and burn and burn and burn.

     She didn't know who reached for the other first. She only felt the collision of their kiss, the warmth of Adrien's mouth against hers. 

     "Fuck me," Muse said, barely louder than the soft crash of the waves against the shore.

     Adrien let out a low moan, and Muse dug her fingers into her neck. She tasted so sweet. Their kiss turned harder, faster. Full of hot, desperate need. Adrien bunched the fabric of Muse's silky wedding dress against her hip, exposing her inner thighs. Muse's heart pounded so loud she could hear nothing else but the sound of Adrien's heavy breathing.

     She barely registered as they hit the sand. Adrien parted her legs with one hand. Muse hoped to God there was nobody else on the beach. 

     "I've wanted to do to you since the moment I saw you," Adrien said. She kissed beneath Muse's jaw, the column of her throat. The hemline of her dress, right above her breasts.

     Muse whimpered. Her hand curled into a fist, the soft white sand slipping between her fingers, as Adrien's mouth traveled lower. To her belly button, the crease of her thighs. She lifted her hips, incapable of stopping the soft, breathless moans from escaping her.