40 - a breakfast

YAY 40 CHAPTERS

     WARMTH. Soft, sweet warmth. Adrien didn't open her eyes, but she could feel the sunlight on her face, pouring in through the glass wall. It had to be close to noon. Luckily she had scheduled the resort to leave the breakfast buffet open until two in the afternoon. The wedding night had lasted as late as she had expected. More than half the guests would be hungover, and wouldn't have made it early anyway.

    Most importantly, Muse liked sleeping in.

    The thought of Muse brought to mind the divorce papers. Adrien would have to call her lawyer today. Once everyone went home, the charade was over. They could divorce, and pretend their marriage hadn't worked out. A little sooner than expected, but fuck what her father's socialites thought. It was too bad about the honeymoon, but nobody would know whether they had gone or not. For all anyone knew, the vacation was a private affair. 

    Adrien slowly opened her eyes, and realized two things:

    The first―the warmth wasn't just the sunlight. Her and Muse must have both rolled over in their sleep, because they were centred within the massive bed, swathed in silky blankets and pillows. The pillow fort hadn't separated them after all. It had caged them in together. 

    And the second―Adrien was holding Muse to her chest like a teddy bear. One arm beneath her ribcage, fingertips grazing beneath her breasts, and the other resting gently against her stomach. Muse's breathing continued, a soft rhythm. Expanding and contracting. 

    Sound asleep. Utterly unaware they were cuddling.

    Adrien had to extract herself from this situation. She knew how Muse felt about her. She would be pissed if she woke up like this, especially since Adrien should have taken the bathtub.

    Slowly, carefully, Adrien flexed her fingers over Muse's stomach. Planning to lift her hand, before she realized a third thing: Muse's right hand was overtop hers, clutching it to her. Her left was interlaced with Adrien's other hand. Their legs were tangled together. And her entire backside was pressed up so tightly against Adrien's front that Adrien didn't know where she began and Muse ended.

    They may as well have fused into one being overnight.

    Adrien hadn't known it was possible to love someone this much. It was overwhelming. Even Muse's quiet snoring filled her with some stupid, indescribable happiness. She nearly smiled. 

   "They're not her," she had told Ezra. She had meant it with every fibre of her being. 

   And she had fucked it up by lying.

   She understood why Muse was ending it, but it felt like being cut open regardless. Like being torn apart from every limb. 

    Marriage was a huge deal. They'd had an agreement, the agreement had ended up being void, and Adrien had lied to get what she wanted―with what she wanted being Muse. It had been so, so selfish of her. 

    She hadn't even known if Muse felt the same way, if Muse loved her back, and she'd married her so she wouldn't lose her.

    Maybe all the women who had called her a ruthless, workaholic bitch had been right. 

    Maybe Muse had even been right when she'd said, "Just because we love each other, doesn't mean we're good for each other." 

    It didn't matter how in love she was. She hadn't been a good person. And she hadn't been good to Muse. In every aspect of her life, she pursued what she wanted without thinking of the consequences. She was single-minded, determined to have what she believed should be hers.