41 - a reveal

PEGASUS watched Muse go through the five stages of grief as she checked her bank account. The amount of zeros that had been added to her 451 dollars was worse than obscene. It was heart-attack-inducing.

      Simply put, she would never have to work again. If she bought every apartment building in New York City, she would still have enough money left over to buy a mansion and a private island and live out the rest of her days being tended to. She never needed to lift a finger again.

     "This isn't real," Muse told Pegasus. "I'm dreaming. Come on. Bite me or something."

     Pegasus stayed perched atop the bed frame in the wedding suite. Muse, sprawled across the floor, had been attempting to pack for the honeymoon. Every article of her clothing had been tossed out of the closet. A mini skirt dangled on the desk lamp. 

     Only ten minutes ago, she'd received a phone call from an unknown number. She'd picked up, and been greeted with: "Hello, am I speaking to Muse Marie Gardner?"

     "Yes, thats me," she had said.

     "This is the Broadway Bank New York. Are you aware of the unusually large sum of money that has been deposited into your account?" 

     She had figured it was the million dollars Adrien owed her in exchange for the deal, and she'd replied, "Yes, I am."

     A long pause. "Sorry for the inconvenience. We're required to check for fraud." Another pause. "Have a good day."

     The dial had ended, the swift beeping drowning out everything else in Muse's head. With shaking hands, she had opened her bank account app on her phone. She didn't know why she'd double-checked. She had only felt something was wrong.

     And there hadn't been a million dollars in her account. There had been much, much more that. Several zeroes more. 

    She was going to grab Adrien by the throat. She was going to knock her head into a wall. She was probably going to kill her.

    "This just can't be real."

     Pegasus purred indifferently.

     "There's no way Adrien just has this much money at her disposal. And I bet it didn't even make a dent in her bank account." Muse shook her head, a little hysterical. "I was picking between my hydro bill and gas bill two months ago. How is it possible for any one person to have this much money? How is it possible that I have this much money now?"

     Her head felt too light. She praised every god in the universe she had already been sitting on the floor, because she would have fallen to her knees otherwise. 

     She had never had this much financial security in her life. She didn't know how to feel. What do with herself.

     Slowly, she stood. She should have been finished packing an hour ago, but her clothes didn't feel right for a honeymoon. Especially not a honeymoon with Grey, who would likely be judging her and Adrien's every move.

     "I should go find Adrien," she said to Pegasus.

     Pegasus purred again, with what she imagined was enthusiasm.

     Adrien had disappeared a while ago, to help coordinate the departure of the wedding guests with the resort staff. She'd lingered at the door before she'd left, hesitating as if she had something to say, but she'd left without a word and closed the door softly behind her.

     Their flight to Hawaii would be later that night. Almost a twenty-four journey on Adrien's private plane. Since Grey and Sherry had one of their own, it would be Adrien and Muse alone the entire time.