7) Pilots

*A/N: Some dialogue belongs to Nintendo. I wasn't lying when I said this was canon compliant.*

⚔ In which the Champions are chosen ⚔

Zelda

I wondered why Link was invited to come with us. That is until I saw him and princess Mipha in the library last night. Many questions were going through my head; it was hard keeping them from spilling from my mouth all at once. And when he walked closer, the first thing I noticed was the very small limp he had. And when I asked about it, he didn't mention that it was partially my fault. I felt a little bad about it, knowing he's been like this for the past three years. But I push that out of my head as princess Mipha, and I walk in the early morning sun to where the Divine Beast Vah Ruta sits, a magnificent machine sitting in the water.

"Your Sheikah researchers have been coming back and forth for months, running tests and trying to figure out the Beast," Mipha explained. We stood on one of the dams, overlooking the East Reservoir Lake, where Vah Ruta was kept. The Dam is littered with Sheikah equipment, and a few researchers are milling about. "They've been kind enough to let me help them sometimes. I've learned a great many things about the Beast."

I nod. "That's wonderful. We know so much more about the Divine Beasts."

Mipha smiles at Vah Ruta like she is looking at an old friend. "I suggested to the researchers not long ago that if the Beasts were to be of use to the fight against the Calamity, I thought that each Beast could use a pilot, of sorts, to control them."

I think about it. This does make sense. "I've heard some Sheikah discuss something like that recently. It does seem like it would be worth looking into. I'll ask father about it, and we can perhaps have something arranged."

Mipha smiles and sighs slightly. "I know this is a farfetched request, but if you do end up looking for pilots, I would love to be considered for piloting Vah Ruta," she says softly.

I smile. "Of course! If father approves it, you will certainly be first on the list of candidates."

At this, Mipha grins widely and claps her hands together.

We're walking back to the stable shortly after to get our horses ready. If I had to guess, I see Link standing with a group of other Zora about Mipha's age. To boys and a girl. I see Link laugh at something one of them said, and he doesn't even realize I'm there. He looks happy.

But then he sees me, and his smile slips into something like a scowl for a split moment. But only for a moment, he turns back to his friends like nothing ever happened. I try not to acknowledge him, but watching him interact with others is fascinating. This boy that won't even look at me when I visit the Hateno lab is talking and laughing like an average person? He's a puzzle and one that I'm having a hard time putting together. Good thing he'll be returning to Hateno after this.

My horse is already saddled and ready to leave when I reach her stall, and my father is talking to Arn about something I don't care to listen to. I stuff the remaining things I need in my saddle bag and climb onto my horse in what I hope is a clear message. Let's leave. Not long after, Arn and my father are on their mounts, and Link is saying goodbye to his friends and Mipha. He was the only one at the party that got a personal goodbye from the Zora princess.

Once we leave the region, it's late afternoon. We decide it's best to stop at the nearest stable before dark and make for Hateno Village tomorrow. Another excuse for me to look at the lab. It's finished now, and nobody, in particular, runs it. It's more of a communal Sheikah lab, with the many Guardians and relics found in the area. I think Link is lucky to live near a place with so much to offer, but I doubt he's visited the lab independently.