Chapter 1 : A New Leaf

"The Confined King of the Quincy

Over 900 years, he shall regain his pulse

Over 90 years, he shall regain his mind

Over 9 years, he shall regain his strength."

- Kaiser Gesang( Emperor's Hymn )

_________________________________________________

It was winter - The time of the year when mother nature herself seemed to have gone into seclusion to hide from the cold. The lush greenery of the forest was no longer visible, as it was blanketed by a layer of white snow. The usual chirping of the birds was no longer audible, being replaced by the howling winds of a blizzard.

And amidst the raging snow storm, a lone figure could be seen taking slow but steady steps forward through the forest. It was a young boy who appeared to be around eleven years old. He had medium length black hair with white streak. His heterochromatic eyes - one amber and one grey - seemed to have lost their light and appeared hollow. He was dressed in torn and dirty rags and was visibly shivering in the cold. From the gaps of his clothes, numerous bruises and bandages were visible on his skin.

But he was not alone. Unbeknownst to him, several pairs of eyes were observing him carefully even during the blizzard. His presence had attracted the attention of some of the most fearsome predators around that area - Wolves. They were spread out and slowly circling around him, preparing to take him down at the right moment.

The boy eventually came to a stop, as fatigue finally caught up with him. His eyes were growing drowsy by the second as he fell to one knee, exhausted.

'... Am I going to die here?'

The boy started to tear up as memories of past events kept repeating in his mind.

____________________

"Big brother, look at this kitty I found outside! Isn't she cute?"

"..."

"Happy birthday, Noah! Now you can blow out the candle."

"..."

"Noah! You must run away now! Take your sister with you!"

"..."

"Big brother... I'm scared. Where's mom and dad?"

"..."

"Rejoice, young boy. You've been selected to be a soldier of god."

"..."

"It appears Subject #00132 is incompatible after all. Dispose of him."

"..."

____________________

'Why?'

The wolves that had circled around him began slowly approaching him.

'Why me?'

Despite the wolves getting closer and closer, Noah didn't pay any attention to them, as the flashbacks kept repeating in his mind.

'Why?!'

Reaching closer, one of the wolves quickly leapt on top of him, aiming to bite down on his neck.

'WHY??!!!'

____________________

At the same time elsewhere, a figure was sitting on the fallen trunk of a tree, surrounded by the bodies of several fallen angels. The person was wearing a brown hooded-cloak which hid most of his features except for the medium length gray beard he sported. An intricately designed silver claymore rested on his hands, with its blade soaked in blood.

'It's been three weeks and there is still no sign of it. What a pity...' He sighed under his breath.

"Ugh... Y-You damned quincy..." One of fallen angels lying on the ground muttered under his breath, his voice filled with both hatred and fear at the man who was near him. "Don't think you can get away with this, Walther Bernhard." He growled. "Our leader wi-AGGGHHH!!" He screamed in agony when the man promptly pierced his gut with the sword.

"First off all, you are the ones who initiated the attack." Walther pulled out the sword and proceeded to stomp on the chest of the fallen angel, eliciting another cry. "Secondly..." He gave a short pause.

"I don't have any intention or need to get away from you, or anyone else for that matter."

With one swift motion of his sword, the fallen angel was decapitated, putting him out of his misery.

"I've wasted enough time here." He muttered to himself as his sword shone brightly for an instant, before disappearing into particles. 'Guess it's time I leave.'

But he only took a step forward when he froze in place as he saw something in the distance - A bright pillar of white light shooting at the sky. But it wasn't what he saw that shocked him; It was the energy he sensed from it.

'Reiatsu?!'

Walther disappeared from his spot in an instant, racing towards the location of the said phenomenon. Gears started to turn in his mind, as he tried to hypothesise any and all possibilities on what could have caused it.

____________________

"Unbelievable..."

Walther was both in shock and awe as he stared at what was lying before him - A young boy who appeared to be near eleven lying unconscious on the ground, surrounded by the corpses of several wolves. And judging from the reiatsu surrounding the boy, he could easily deduce what had happened here.

'So it was him...' Kneeling beside Noah, he inspected his body for injuries. He knitted his brows in a deep frown when he realized his condition.

'Hypothermia, blunt force trauma, cuts, lacerations, a stab wound... It's a miracle how he's alive at this point. Who on earth could do such a thing to a kid?' Walther placed his right hand on top of him, as something began to happen - His shadow on the ground began to expand before enveloping both him and the boy near him. It was a special skill usable by certain quincy that allowed them to teleport using the shadows as a medium. But even while teleporting away Walther had many questions in his mind, all of which had to wait till the boy was in a better condition.

_________________________________________________

Yep.

I've finally decided to take this step. It's an idea that's been on the back of my mind for a long time (Roughly around 9 months). This chapter is kinda short, I am aware. But it felt like a good place to end it.

Updates might be irregular for a while since I have to work on my other fic as well.

If you have any queries, feel free to post them.

Discord : https://discord.gg/2WFFEYjNwu
_________________________________________________