Chapter 3 : The Tale Of The Quincy

[5 Years Later]

It was night time in the streets of London. Compared to the busy and bustling atmosphere of the city during the day, the calm and quietness during the night was easily perceivable. It was the time when most people had retired to sleep leaving very few outside, which mostly consisted of the homeless and those involved in shady business. But of course, this only applied to normal human society. For those of the supernatural world, it was the opposite. This was especially true for creatures born of the darkness, like vampires and devils.
____________________

“Huff… Huff…”

A figure darted through the streets clutching his stomach, as blood seeped out from a deep wound. He had unkempt long grey hair which flew in the wind. His face was deadly pale while his bloodshot eyes revealed the mix of emotions going through his mind - Anger, anxiety, and fear.

The man’s name was Zealvig and he was an A-Class Stray Devil, quite infamous in the underworld for his sadistic tendencies and unhinged psyche. Gotten drunk on power, he severely injured his former master and killed one of his peerage members before escaping, cementing his spot as a dangerous stray devil.

But now? The situation was not in his favour.

“AAGGHHH!!!” He screamed in agony as a blue spectral arrow pierced his left thigh, sending him tumbling forward. He tried to pull out the arrow, only to find it disappearing into small particles, leaving behind the wound.

"You sure are persistent...”

The sound of slow footsteps was heard as a person appeared in the devil’s view. It was a boy appearing to be in his late-teens with messy and wavy chin-length black hair. His pair of eyes - one amber and one grey - were focused on the devil, sending shivers down his spine. He was dressed entirely in white, wearing a double breasted trench coat, trousers and boots.

In contrast to his actions till now, Noah sported a confident smile on his face - One which harboured neither malice nor pity towards the devil. This wasn’t his first time hunting a stray devil, and it surely wasn’t going to be his last. The gap in strength between the two was quite obvious for him.

Zealvig kept silent, staring at the boy who slowly walked towards him with fear and apprehension. When he first attacked the boy, assuming him to be a normal human, he didn’t expect things to go like this. But now, it was too late. The roles of the hunter and prey had switched, and he knew his chances of survival were growing slim by the second.

‘No! I won’t let things end like this!’

Noah paused when he sensed a change in his opponent's energy. He looked on as Zealvig's body began to morph. His right arm began to bulk up, as bones started protruding out of different parts of his body. The tone of his skin began to shift as well, turning into a dark shade of grey. Two pairs of bat-like wings sprouted from his back, as he let out a deafening roar.

"... So what has changed other than your appearance?” Noah commented, seemingly unimpressed by his opponent’s theatrics. This only served to anger Zealvig even further.

“I am going to enjoy ripping out your entrails, human…” He commented with a low growl. “You should have finished me off when you had the chance. But don’t worry. I’ll leave something behind for whoever put you up for this.” He extended his hand as the bony protrusion on his right fist enlarged.

“I see.” Noah replied, stroking his chin with a thoughtful expression.

“Your demeanour changed as well.”

*WOOSH*

In the next instant, Zealvig was already right in front of him, wounding his fist for a punch.