Chapter seven

I look around the dance studio, trying to spot Jess. She waves her hand in the air, I smile, putting my dance bag in my cubby and walking towards her.
"Look who it is" her voice is strangled as she stretches into the splits.
I laugh "long time no see".
I drop down into the splits beside her. Our dance teacher then walks in, a stack of letters in her hand.
"Good afternoon" she stops in the centre of the studio "in two weeks time each of you while be performing solos".
She walks around, handing every dancer a letter.
"I trust you will all take this seriously" she says "three of you stand a chance of winning a scholarship for the colleges listed. I will then award those three dancers the opportunity to perform a trio at an upcoming dance competition".
Me and Jess glance at each other, eyes wide. It's Thursday morning so I have a little over two weeks to put together a solo that can get me a scholarship for college.
There goes my social life

                                    *****

I'm sitting on the bleachers that overlook the football field, reading 'the Spanish love deception', whilst eating a fruit salad and a coffee. I turn my head when I hear someone sit down next to me, I expect to see Jess, but it's not. I can't cover the surprise on my face when I see Austin sitting down. He must of changed his mind and decided he wants something to make up for his damaged phone. When he looks at me, I look away, hating the way he has my heart racing. He hasn't even said anything yet.
Jackson can't do that
He glances down at the book I'm holding "I've read that one".
I can't help the laugh I let out, chocking on my pineapple. Even though I'd seen Austin purchase a book, I still find it hard to believe he reads them. I'd assumed he'd bought it for someone else.
"What?" He asks, adorably oblivious.
He smiles, taken back by my sudden laugh "you don't believe me?"
I shake my head, closing my book, I challenge him "tell me what happens then".
"Alright" he smirks, confident he's won. He goes on to give a perfect summary of the book, recalling details only someone who's read it would know.
He glances down at my shocked face, amused "Would you like more detail?".
I go silent, too stubborn to accept the fact he's actually read the book, a romance novel.
"You saw the blurb" I turn the book over and look away from his satisfied gaze.
He laughs and I turn back around, wanting to see what he looks like when he laughs, his eyes wrinkle at the sides and his dimples show more than when he smiles.
I love his dimples
I love his laugh too. It makes me want to make him laugh again just so I can listen closer.
He drops his head that was tilted up from laughing and turns to look at me "I got all of that from the blurb?" He chuckles when I nod.
"Yes" I sip my coffee, delighted at the taste, I continue my excuse "It says all of that on the back of the book".
"Hmm" he smiles, staring at me silently for a moment, I look away, drinking my coffee to escape his gaze "Do you drink a lot of coffee?" He asks randomly.
I hum with a nod, glancing down at my coffee cup, swallowing I add "Pretty much every morning, there's this great little coffee shop close to school I go to every morning before school starts, their drinks are amazing, like a beverage from heaven".
He smiles and for the first time since he's sit down, he's the one that looks away. He looks over the football field for a few silent seconds.
"What's going on between you and Jackson?" He asks.
I'm a little startled by how fast he changed subject, I put my fork down, munching on a peace of mango "We're dating".
He looks at me, seemingly surprised by my answer "Your just dating? Your not officially together?"
I shake my head "no but-"
"That's all I need to know" He stands suddenly, steals a piece of apple, smiles and leaves.