Chapter eight

Hundreds of students pull into the assembly hall, laughing among themselves. I walk in with the crowd, looking over the sea of chairs to spot Jess.
A hand flies back and forth in the air, it's Samuel, smiling "Nora!"
I smile, walking over and sitting down next to him. When I sit down I spot Jess walking into the hall.
"Jess!" Samuel shouts for her and we both shake our hands in the air.
She laughs, advancing towards us. When she sits down next to us, the head teacher - Miss Clark- appears on stage, a microphone in her hand.
"Settle done students" she says "Please take your seats".
When everyone is seated, the room slowly quiets down.
"Good morning" she taps the microphone, turning the sound up "This shouldn't take too long, as I'm sure many of you are aware, the school will be hosting a bonfire at the beach next Friday at 8pm-"
The hall breaks out into hushed whispers, excited squeals and laughter.
"Excuse me?!" Miss Clark demands attention, frustrated "Excuse me?!"
The room reluctantly turns to face her.
"You guys are young adults!" She raises her voice "You are expected to set a good example to the younger years, I'm disappointed!" She shakes her head and looks down to further emphasis her annoyance "As I was saying, the event will start at 8pm next Friday at the towns local beach. Those that wish to attend will be handed leaflets with more information as you exit the hall".

                                                                               *****

When I walk into law class, the teacher stops me, ordering all the students to line up at the front of the class.
He stands in front of us "Hello everyone" he says, scribbling words down onto a piece of paper "This semester you are expected to hand in a group project, therefore I have assigned you into groups of six to complete the assignment".
The class erupts in anger, demanding he lets us chose our own groups.
He raises his finger in the air "Silence. The groups have already been selected".
He points students to certain desks, splitting the class into four groups of six.
"Alright group three" he glances down at his paper "Samuel, Nora, Carter, Jessica, Austin and Jackson".
The class splits into its groups, Jess smiles at me, walking with me to the table for group three.
"Thank god for that" she says.
I laugh just as Samuel comes between us, putting his arms around the both of us "If it isn't my best friends".
The three of us go to sit down, when Jess pulls out a chair to sit next to me, Jackson sits down on it, kissing my cheek. Jess rolls her eyes, sitting across from me instead. I mouth an apology to her. Austin and Carter sit down across from me, Jackson and Samuel. I purposely avoid Austin's eyes that are currently looking at me, or Jackson's arm that is swung around my chair. I'm not the only one that has a reaction to Austin's presence. Jess inhales a sharp intake of breath, her slow swallow the only indication of her reaction. I frown confusedly, I know she doesn't like Austin, she would have told me. We always tell each other things like that. When I look to Austin to see if he returns her reaction I catch him look at her for a second too long. He however is confident and composed, he doesn't struggle to hide any emotion he may be feeling. I look between them, hating the pang of jealousy I feel at the thought that something might be going on between them.
The teacher hands out paper with the details of the project. Jess picks it up, reading it carefully.
"What does it say Jess?" Jackson asks.
"My name is Jessica" She says "Only my friends call me Jess".
Carter and Samuel laugh, a small smirk on Austin's face. Before Jackson can reply Jess talks again.
"We have to create a detailed slideshow of a serial killer" she says, reading off the paper "including details of their victims, how they got caught, their birthday and childhood" She places the paper down, smiling at me. Me and Jess often solve murder mystery's in our spare time and watch real life serial killer documentaries on Netflix. Why we find it so interesting, I don't know.
"I say we do Jeffrey Damher" Jackson says.
Carter shakes his head "So many people are going to do him" he points at the other groups where two have already started to research him.
"Ted bundy" I suggest.
Jess nods "That's a good idea, although it may be better to do a less famous serial killer".
"The more famous ones are the more interesting ones" Samuel says.
Carter leans forward in his chair "Someone with everyone's numbers make a group chat, we will have to meet after school to work on it" He gestures at the clock.
Jess nods "I'll make it".
Everyone stands as the bell rings.