Chapter twelve

When Jackson pulls me into the kitchen, I'm relieved to see that it's almost completely empty. Although I instantly miss the quiet of the roof, the peace that comes along with being with Austin. People come and go, refilling their drinks before going back to dance. Jackson hands me a red plastic cup, I stare down at the pink liquid, unsure.
"What is it?"
"Punch" he says.
I sit the cup down on the counter "I think I'll just have water instead".
Jackson rolls his eyes, unjustifiably irritated "Don't be like that Nora. One drink won't hurt".
"I'm fine-"
"Everyone else is drinking" he picks the cup back up, pushing it at my chest so hard a bit of the juice hits my costume "Don't be boring".
I reluctantly bring the cup to my lips, taking a small sip.
Jackson and his friends cheer and whistle "There you go".
He smiles, placing his hands around my waist and pulling me towards him.
"See" he says, bringing his own cup to his lips "I knew you'd like it".
It's disgusting

                             *****

I stumble into the mass of bodies, my head dizzy. I feel like I'm about to be sick. I try to call for Austin, but I can't speak, my throat burns. I can't move my mouth. I cling to a guy dressed in black, thinking it's Austin.
He turns around, smirking as he eyes me down "Hello there".
"Nora" a distant call.
I look up at the stranger, frowning "You're not Austin" I almost choke on the words.
"Nora" that voice again.
I'm dreaming
The guy in front of me smiles, grabbing my waist "Let's dance".
"Nora" the voice is closer now. I try to push the guy away when he's flung away from me.
Austin stands in front of me now, looking at my new dance partner "Leave".
I reach for him, placing my wobbly hands on his chest "Austin" I whisper.
Austin looks down at me, concern and worry in his eyes. "Nora, are you ok?"
I lean into his chest, hugging him. The pain immediately dies down the second I see him, but it's still unbearable. I don't understand. I'm not drunk, I only had one drink.
"Is she ok?" Carter is here now, staring down at me tucked against Austin's chest.
He's nice and warm
Austin shakes his head, pulling me tighter against him protectively "No".
I slump against him, losing my right to move. He picks me up bridal style, says to Carter "Something's wrong"  and then carries me up the stairs. He enters the same room we'd played chess and sits me on the edge of the bed. He kneels before me, placing his hands on my thighs. I'm sobbing hysterically now, the throb in my head causing an agony I've never experienced.
It hurts
My throat is swelling, words literally die in my throat. The pain intensifying by the minute.
I'm helpless
Austin runs his thumbs over my cheeks, asking me what's wrong, begging me to speak to him, to tell him how to make it better. I'm roasting, yet my body begins to shiver. Austin looks at my shaking body, he picks me up again, tucking me into the covers. When my head hits the pillow, time slows down, my body goes numb and I can't move at all. Austin crouches before the bed, becoming eye level with me.
"Nora" he says "Tell me what hurts".
I shake my head, my throat too sore to speak. It's only then I realise Carter is behind Austin, a cup of water and paracetamol in his hands.
"Is she drunk?" He asks.
"I don't think so" Austin says, he continues to stare at me, unsure what to do. He comes in closer, kissing my forehead "Tell me what you want me to do".
I close my eyes, begging my headache to calm.
I force myself to mutter "I'm too warm".
Austin frowns "You're warm? You're shivering".
"I feel like I'm going to be sick" I whisper.
Austin turns to Carter, taking the paracetamol and water from him he instructs "Get her a bucket".
Carter returns with a bin, handing it to Austin. Austin looks back at him, whispers "I think she's been drugged".
Carters dark eyes widen "No".
A boy I don't recognise walks into the room, I can barely make him out through my tears.
He stops next to Carter, asks "What's going on?"
Carter turns to him with his voice lowered "She's been drugged".
The mystery boy looks at me, concern painting his beautiful face, he pulls out his phone "I'll call for a doctor".
Austin moves lose strands of hair back from my face, he looks furious, he stands "I'm shutting this place down".
"No" it takes all my force to say the two letter word.
Austin's attention snaps in my direction, he kneels down before me again "What is it baby" he whispers "What's wrong?"
"Stay with me" i whisper, fresh tears spilling "Please".
Austin brings my hand to his mouth, placing a gentle kiss there "Of course, anything you want".
He turns to Carter, but he doesn't have to ask, Carter has already left, his voice the last thing I hear before I black out.
"Everyone out!"