Chapter eleven

"Me or the party?"
I laugh "Both".
He chuckles, starting at me so intently I'm forced to look away. I focus on the chessboard, studying the detail of the pieces.
This captures his attention, he stands, sits down on the couch opposite me and then asks "Do you want to play?"
I shake my head "I don't know how to play chess".
He smiles "I'll teach you".
He rearranges the pieces, explains the basic rules of the game and then takes his turn.
I smile, moving a peace "Go easy on me please".
He laughs, moving a peace of his own. His smile slowly fades "Where's Jackson?"
I frown, glancing down at my watch "He should be down stairs".
He looks up, somewhat surprised "You didn't come together?"
"No. I came with Jess and Samuel" I say "He wanted to match with his friends so they are arriving together".
His eyebrows furrow "Match with his friends?"
I nod "Yes. Like costumes. They are going as skeletons" I move a piece before continuing "I suggested the stormtroopers but they were set on going as skeletons. Said it was a bad idea".
Austin looks displeased "The stormtroopers would have been an amazing costume".
I smile, pleased someone agrees with me "That's what I said!"
He smiles, his eyes drop to my lips. I force myself to look away.
When I look down at the chessboard I frown "I can't move".
He hums a sound of agreement.
"So what does that mean?"
"The game is over" he answers.
"I lost?!"
He smiles "Nora, do you notice how I have all of your pieces and you don't have have any of mine?"
I asses the board "You said you'd let me win".
He laughs, leaning back in his chair and spreading his legs "I said no such thing".
He Leans forward, when I look at him I'm surprised. He looks guilty, like he feels bad, he actually thinks I'm upset about losing.
"Don't worry" he says in a comforting tone "You'll get better, it just takes practice. We can play again and I'll let you win-"
I smile "It's ok, I'm not actually upset".
I reach up and place the peace's back in their places, Austin corrects the ones I put incorrectly. Our hands skim each other and I actually blush. I quickly pull my hand away, looking down at it.
It's silent for awhile, but it's comfortable, he glances at the door "Do you want to dance?"
"I hate dancing".
"Is it the dancing or the people?"
His question startles me because it reminds me that it's not the dancing I don't like, it's doing it in-front of people that makes me feel awkward and judged. He stands, not needing an answer. He walks to stand in front of me, extending his hand. I take it and stand, letting him lead me wherever he wants to go. He walks to the far end of the room, opening a door that reveals a staircase. He looks back at me, smiling. I let him lead me up the stairs, too curious to turn around. When we get to the top of the stairs, he opens a latch, flipping a metal door on its side, he walks upwards, taking me with him. The wind hits my face, waking me up. We are on a rooftop, so high it overlooks the houses of the surrounding area. Austin turns, capturing my reaction. I look up at the bright stars lighting up the sky.
I smile "It's so pretty".
"It is" he agrees, but he's not looking at the sky, he's looking at me. When I meet his eyes, he pulls me into the centre of the roof. He takes my hand he's not already holding and places them both on his shoulders. He slides his hands down my arms, down my body until he reaches my waist, where he stops, holding me there. We begin to sway, you can hardly hear the music up here, but it still works. He pulls me as close to him as he can, our bodies touching completely. He drops his forehead to rest against mine, stares into my eyes.
"You're so beautiful" he whispers.
I hold my breath, convincing myself this is a dream. He leans closer, and for a second I think he might kiss me, but then I hear a noise and quickly push away, snapping my head in the direction of the laughter and commotion. Students pile onto the roof from many different entry points. I spot a group of skeletons, one descends towards me, pulling their mask off.
Jackson smiles "Hey babe".
I smile, unable to process words.
He kisses my cheek "Let's go downstairs" he says, pulling me with him. I let him guide me reluctantly. I don't look back at Austin. If I see the look on his face I'll want to stay.