Chapter 1

"You got it!" he yelled the moment the line connected.

"What do you mean I got it?" Annalise questioned down the line, in utter disbelief at the words she'd just heard.

"It's nothing big and they're still ironing out the details of the series, but you landed it, Annalise. You're going to be Margaret in Demeanour on Netflix!"

She couldn't believe her ears. Only a year had passed since Annalise started her acting journey and she'd officially landed a speaking role, albeit small, in an upcoming major drama series.

"Hello? Annalise?"

"Yes, sorry. I'm still here, Antony. I'm just shell-shocked."

"You've done it, sweetheart. I'll send over the details ASAP for you to review. They want you, along with the other actors from the series, to be available for a table reading of episode one in a few weeks. All the details are in the email with the contract which should be in your inbox..." soft typing sounds could be heard through the speaker, "now."

"Thank you so much, Antony. I seriously wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for you having faith in me all those months ago."

"Thank me in your Oscar speech."

"Hi, sorry – is this Bellamy Studios?" Annalise asked the security guard standing at the front entrance to a very large lot. "My Google Maps keeps getting turned around and I'm not sure if this is the right lot or if it's the one across the road."

"You're in the right place, darlin'. Do you have a pass?" The middle-aged, slightly overweight guard smiled down at her.

"Oh, yes! Let me just..." She quickly rummaged through her bag, looking for the pass Antony has posted to her a few days prior. "Here you are."

"Ah, Demeanour, is it? Take a left and then a right, keep straight and you'll see a door with the show sign plastered to it. Good luck!" He saluted Annalise before pressing a few buttons on the wall, signaling the gates to open.

It wasn't difficult for Annalise to find her way. Within minutes she found herself entering a room with a handful of other people loitered about. She realized she recognized a few faces among the crowd, which caused the flurry of butterflies in her stomach to pick up.

"Hi there," a friendly Irish voice sounded to her left. Annalise turned and came face to face with none other than Nicola Coughlan. "I'm Nicola, and you are?"

"Oh wow, um. I know who you are," Annalise stumbled on her words, causing Nicola's eyes to soften. "You were absolutely brilliant in Derry Girls and are doing stunning work in Bridgerton."

"Oh thank you, you're so lovely!"

"I'm Annalise, by the way." Annalise tucked her hair behind her ear and started nibbling on her lower lip, a habit she had acquired due to anxiety.

"It's lovely to meet you, Annalise." Nicola smiled brightly, ridding Annalise of any nerves she had. "Shall we do the rounds together? I find it's always a bit less intimidating meeting new people when you have someone friendly by your side."

"Absolutely! Lead the way."

Annalise followed Nicola around the room, both getting to know their fellow castmates as well as some of the higher-ups – Martin Oswald (the director), Alistar Barkley (Assistant Director), and the Preston sisters who wrote the script. While both women became acquainted with everyone already present, the final few cast and crew members made their way into the space.

One of which being the leading actor himself, Joseph Quinn.

"Joe! My man," Daniel Kaluuya ran over to greet his good friend the moment he stepped through the door. "How are you doing? I'm so pumped to be working on this with you, not gonna lie. Getting to see one of the most sought-after men alive in action," he added with a wink.

"Flattery will get you everywhere, Daniel," Joe responded while pulling his friend in for a hug. "I'm doing well, and you? Has to feel amazing having Nope being released soon."

"Feels brilliant, really. Gonna be nice having a bit of a shift with this one, though. Less horror and more drama."

"Completely know what you mean. After everything with Stranger Things, it'll be nice doing something a little....softer? If that makes sense?" Joseph shrugged and made a weird pondering expression before they both laughed. His eyes scanned the room, taking note of new faces and ones he was already familiar with.

"I love reading day," Daniel chimed in. "Getting to meet so many new, talented people and seeing who you'll get on with and who's not worth your time."

Joseph mumbled an agreement while he continued scanning the room. An animated laugh pulled his attention to the back corner of the room. There stood Nicola Coughlan laughing loudly with a woman he'd never seen before.

"Who's that?" he whispered.

Daniel's eyes follow Joseph's to see them locked on the kind girl he had met just a few moments prior. "She's called Annalise. Playing one of the minor characters."

Joseph quickly looked at Daniel, "Did I actually ask that out loud or are you reading my thoughts?"

Daniel smirked, "That thought must have been really loud, my friend." He patted Joe on the shoulder before leading him further into the room, gaining the attention of Martin, the director.

"Alright, gather around everyone and take a seat. We are having some difficulties getting ahold of our lead actress but she doesn't come in until much later in the episode, so let's go ahead and jump right in. Everyone have a script on hand?"

*****

Word Count: 930

This is the first time I've ever tried writing something like this, so please be kind! I feel like there are not enough Joseph Quinn goodies in the world and this storyline keeps playing through my head. So, why not get it down and share it with others? Hope you enjoy it!