Chapter 2

"Let's start by doing a quick roundtable introduction. State who you are and who you'll be playing, please. Joe, since you're our main man, why don't you kick it off for us?" Alistar Barkley, the assistant director, announced as everyone settled into their seats around a large, circular table.

Annalise's wide eyes darted to Joe – this being the first time she's realized his presence in the room. She knew of him, obviously. He was the new addition to the Stranger Things family and at the front of most people's minds following the release of season four.

Joe dipped his head before looking around the table, giving his introduction. "Hello, everyone. My name is Joe, uh Joseph Quinn and I will be playing the role of Charles Harrison." His eyes landed on Annalise's last and lingered a moment before quickly looking down at his script.

Martin glanced over at Annalise with a curious look before nodding his head to the person on Joe's left, signaling them to go next. Four more people introduced themselves to the table – all new names and faces to Annalise – before her time came.

"Hi, my name's Annalise and I will be playing the part of Margaret, Horris's wife." Her eyes, too, landed on Joseph's and lingered for a moment until Nicola began her introduction. Not only did Martin notice the lingering eye contact this time, but Alistar did as well. The two men turned towards each other for the briefest of moments, eyebrows raised.

After all 15 or so people were properly introduced, Martin signals for them to begin, requesting one of the Preston sisters to read all the guiding text between dialogue.

Although it's just a table reading, Annalise couldn't help but become engrossed in the story and the sight-reading performances put on by the other actors. Everyone dove in headfirst, pulling out different voices, movements and emotions – some written out in the script and others improvised. She almost forgot where she was for a moment, reviling in the moments that passed by. But she never missed the warm brown eyes that kept darting her way every few minutes.

After twenty minutes or so of reading through the script, Annalise's first lines appeared.

"My husband will not be happy about this, Montgomery. He's broken his back to produce what you've requested and this is far under the price of what it's worth." Annalise read in a Yorkshire accent, her eyes locked onto Daniel's, but aware of everyone's attention.

"What is your husband to me? A lowly man who sends a misfortunate woman to do his bidding? I don't bargain with women. If he wants it's worth, he'll have to be present himself." Daniel spat back.

"I saw him, recently, Montgomery," Joseph spoke as he briefly cast a glance towards Daniel before looking back at Annalise. "He's fallen ill, isn't that right, Madam?" His stare was warm and inviting to Annalise, but also locked and unnerving. He was brilliant.

"Ye-yes, sir." Her eyes never left Joe's intense gaze. "He works late to make ends meet, and couldn't find the strength to rise today." The delicate nature of her voice was close to a whisper.

She didn't budge an inch as Joseph slowly leaned in a bit more, balancing his weight on his elbows and forearms. Glances were shared among the other cast members as the building tension became palpable in the room.

"And that's why you're here in his place? Doing your wifely duty you took an oath to do, through sickness and health?" His voice lowered to match her quieter tone.

Annalise nodded quickly.

"Why does this matter to me?" Daniel's voice broke through the quiet. Joseph's attention broke away from Annalise, allowing her to release a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

"Horris has always been a good man to deal goods with. You don't want to lose his service due to your pride, as much as I agree that a woman should not be doing a man's job. It's not like she'll ever be in this position again, isn't that right, Madam?" This time Joe didn't look up from his script.

"Of course, never again, sir–"

Martin held up a hand, cutting Annalise off, and rummaging through his bag to find his buzzing phone. "Sorry, everyone. Alistar and I need to take this. Give us two minutes."

As they both rushed out of the room a few of the cast members decided to stand and stretch, others made their way to the courtyard for a quick cigarette or a cup of tea. Both girls remained seated, taking in everything.

"So, what do you think so far?" Nicola beams as she turns towards Annalise.

"This is by far the best experience of my life. Everyone is already so amazing and we are only reading. It's going to be mad being on set and seeing them at the top of their game."

"I always find the first day of reading to be really telling for how we are all going to work together. There is definitely some interesting chemistry going on between a few people, yourself included."

"I'm sorry, what?" But before Nicola could clarify, Martin and Alistar returned in a huff and sat back down, calling everyone's attention.

"So, we have some not too great news," Alistar began once everyone was seated again. "The actress playing Amelia isn't able to make it today and could, potentially, be pulling out of the whole project." Murmurs began floating around the table.

"Now, now. Settle down," Martin cleared his throat. "We have a group of amazing actors around this table and we don't want to waste all our efforts today, so...Annalise..."

Annalise's eyes widened as Martin shifted in his seat to face her more fully.

"How do you feel about reading Amelia's lines today? Both Alistar and I agree that we like your energy and, I think it's clear to everyone in the room, that you and Joseph here have some bubbling chemistry – even if only a few lines were shared just before," He continued.

Her eyes darted to Joe's only to find his already on her and just as wide.

"This isn't us asking you to step into her role officially or anything." Alistar cut in and gained her attention again. "Just to read her lines today so that we can all still get through this first episode. Martin and I will, of course, be meeting with our casting team following this session to discuss our plan of action." He addressed the rest of the table with the last bit of information.

Annalise felt Nicola grab her hand under the table, squeezing it. She glanced at her new friend and saw a look of excitement plastered on her face.

"Of course," Annalise turned back to both directors. "I'd be honored."

A small smile appeared on Martin's lips, "Then let's jump back in."

****

Word Count: 1156