Chapter 15

Annalise took a deep trembling breath as she looked up at the stars. The air had a bite to it that night which caused goosebumps to cover every inch of her body, but she didn't mind. She welcomed it, actually – anything that helped keep her grounded at this moment in time was welcome.

Today was the anniversary of her nan's death. It had been three whole years and it still felt like yesterday. She missed the soft smiles, cheeky banter, and the all-encompassing hugs...god, did she miss those hugs.

Anna had managed to get through the day relatively unscathed. She wasn't needed on set, thankfully. Instead, she had distracted herself with her agent, Antony, and virtually met his selection for her manager. She kept herself so busy that she thought she might be in the clear from the typical onset of mournful emotions she usually felt on this day. Close, but no cigar.

The gardens of the hotel were beautiful during the day, yet heartbreaking at night. Darkness smothered the bright colors she had become accustomed to during her morning walks. This bench – the one she was sitting on then – was her normal stop as she'd sip her morning cup of 'jo. Tonight, though, it was all that was keeping her from collapsing onto the gravel in a sobbing mess.

Annalise sniffled as another onset of tears streamed down her face.

"Anna?" She jumped, startled at the sudden voice just a few paces away. Joe stood at the edge of the garden, an unlit cigarette in hand and a concerned expression plastered on his face. She quickly wiped the tears away, trying to hide the evidence, and gave him a soft smile.

"Anna," he whispered before dropping the cigarette to the ground and rushing over to her. Joe sat next to her and quickly wrapped his arms around her shoulders, stroking her hair as another round of sobs wracked her body.

"Talk to me Anna," he wiped away the tears that streamed down her cheeks.

"Why is it still so painful, Joe?" She managed to get out between sobs.

He tucked a loose strand behind her ear, continuing to stroke her hair, "What's painful, love?"

"Today," she hiccuped, lifting her head from his chest and looking into his eyes. "My nan passed away three years ago today." Another sob consumed Anna. Joe's grip on her grew tighter as her head dropped back to his chest. He started rocking her gently, whispering shushes softly in her ears.

"It's never easy losing someone you love, no matter how much time has passed," Joseph finally voiced. Her grip on him increased. "I'm right here, don't you worry. I've got you."

A few moments passed and Annalise was finally able to gain control once again. Slowly, she straightened up, slipping out of Joe's grip. She looked deep into his warm brown eyes, "Thank you, Joe."

"For what?" He wiped away another stray tear.

"For being so kind to me, even when I don't deserve it from you."

"That's nonsense, Annalise. You deserve the world."

****

Five days. Joseph was gone on business for five whole days, and Annalise felt restless. He had left for NYC the day after the incident in the garden – an incident that had Anna feeling more confused and alone than ever.

Joe had been there for her during a moment when she felt vulnerable, broken. And he didn't shy away. He held her while she cried and soothed her worries away. She had never had someone be that person for her before. That night, she had never felt more connected to someone before. And then he had to up and leave.

The purpose of the trip was strictly promotional as whisperings of Stranger Things 5 had started to float around. A promotional trip though meant that Joe's face was plastered all over the media. Anna couldn't decide on whether that was extremely irritating or extremely pleasing.