Prequel

Christopher! Do not come to me! The thought rang through his head as if she were standing next to him, but he didn't care. He had to find her, and once he did God help the man that had taken her from him. Are you harmed? His concern for her overwhelmed him. Every fiber of his being trembled as he waited for her response. She was trying to shut him out. He had his answer. He closed his eyes and gritted his teeth before reaching out to her again. Leala, tell me of our child. Is she well? He felt her anguish and loss. His steps faltered as the weight of her grief, and his, brought him to his knees. Her cries filled his head, until finally she found the words. I've lost her, I could not protect her. I could not save her from him. Her guilt washed over him then and he felt as she was trying to sever their tie yet again. NO! Leala! Do not cut me off. I am coming, I am almost there. And when I arrive the bastard will pay. He reached out to feel for her again, but she had slid her wall in place, barring him from her.

Dammit! He climbed to his feet, his rage building within him. The tunnels that were once cool and damp, now permeated with heat. He funneled his hatred and hurt to channel into his very being. He reached out and placed his finger tips to the wall to his right, he closed his eyes, searching and reaching out through the ground that seemed to surround him, looking for his path to her. There! He had it. He curled his lips in a sneer, knowing now where to go, he set out. He was going to make the man pay for coming after them. With determined strides he quickly navigated the remaining distance through the lair. As he approached the inner chamber he could see the dwelling expanded to a very large hidden cave. His gaze searched her out, finally resting on her prone body. He had somehow secured her to what appeared to be an altar of sorts. He ran to her, his steps faltering only when he saw the blood pooling around her.

She was sobbing heavily, the effort shaking her body. He was standing beside her now, gently stroking her blonde length away from her face. She dropped the wall she had set in place. She couldn't fight him anymore. He was too strong, and she loved him so. Leala, you must heal yourself. Don't let him do this to you. She didn't want to survive. She turned away from him, unable to tell him that the blood was not in fact all hers, but that of Abira's, their daughters. Her grief was consuming her. He released her from her bindings, cradling her to his warm body. She felt his heat burning from within and knew he was keeping his rage in check for her.

"Christopher... He...Abira..." She couldn't form the words. Finally, she searched his face, locking her forest green eyes on his sky blue ones. The love that shone from his features for her caused her heart to clench.

"Hush now, you did what you could." His chocolate colored locks spilled over his forehead as he lowered his head to meet her forehead, trying to send her all the love he felt.

"But it wasn't enough was it Christopher? I knew you would come for them. It's a shame that your daughter is not here for the happy reunion." She felt Christopher tense as the words washed over him.

"Bane." Christopher said through a clenched jaw. Heal, I may need you. She heard him say to her as he set her aside and rose to face him. She could feel the controlled waves of heat escaping him, his restraint was threadbare and she knew it. Suddenly he projected a heat wave towards Bane. She felt their foundation shift and suddenly chunks of earth were propelling towards him. As suddenly as they began to fall, they burst into flames during their descent. Christopher was holding nothing back creating meteorites to push Bane back.

Bane laughed and shimmered away further into the cave, Christopher cast a quick glance towards her before setting out after him. Hurry love, I may need you. She placed her hand on her abdomen as she watched him pursue Bane. If you only knew Christopher, she thought, keeping her secret safe from him. I need you more now than ever before, but losing another child will ruin me. She gathered herself and focused the energy from the air around her. Spreading her palms across her abdomen she projected a protective bubble around her unborn child. He must never know. She reached for his hand as she walked to his side. They will end this and she would leave. Never again would someone hold enough over them, or take their life from them. It ended tonight, she would make sure of it. For Abira, and their unborn child.