13

Sam's departure was met with mixed with emotions. La'llia mourned for the friendship she had cherished over the years, but she was also filled with hope that they could bridge the gap his visit had caused. Christian had accepted Sam's apology, but the bruise forming on Sam's his jaw did not go unnoticed. She felt a little swell of pride that Christian had gotten one good lick in before he had left. He definitely had courage, being still a human and facing off against an Eternal could have held dire consequences. In the two days that had passed La'llia could feel the shift in Christian's mood. He spent a lot of his time with her, helping her practice with her Earth skills and training in the gym. Although she did not want him to return to his work shifts until they had worked through the danger that was ever present, he had pleaded with her to find a way to make it happen.

"Lia, please. I can't abandon my job. I know it will be difficult, but we have to find a way to make it work. Dave was good enough to let me use my vacation time over the last two weeks and I have used almost all of my personal time allowed. If I miss any more time I could lose my job. It might not be much, but I still have bills to pay. I've been staying here, but I still have my apartment. I kinda need this job."

"Okay, let's talk this out. We need to find a way to keep you safe, but there is probably no way your managers will allow me to hang around while you're at work."

"Not to mention you would be a terrible distraction for me." He chuckled as he grabbed her around the waist, pulling her in close. "I would hardly get any work done." He leaned to kiss her, drawing in her lower lip.

His groan told her he was disappointed that she pulled away, but bent his head to nuzzle her neck. "Uh huh, you mean like now?" She said, but leaned her head to the side to allow him better access. "We need to figure this out Tiger. And right now you are the one distracting me." He pulled his torso away from her just enough for her to see his wicked grin as he wiggled his eyebrows.

"What's the matter can't concentrate? What could possibly be distracting you?" He leaned in again to place light kisses across her jawline, working his way back up to nibble on her earlobe.

"Seriously? You're incorrigible."

"So what can we do about this?" His breath fanned across her neck as he spoke, causing her to shiver slightly.

"Well, we do have the house for the afternoon..." She let her voice, and her suggestion trail off, enjoying the attention he was giving her. Finally, she grabbed his hand and led him to her bedroom. With a quick look to ensure the security systems were in place and feeling satisfied, she walked over to where he was standing beside her bed. She ran her hands across his chest, loving the feel of his definition beneath his cotton shirt. She could feel his muscles tighten as she continued her exploration and loved the way he reacted to her touch. When he hands reached for the hem of his shirt, he allowed her to lift and remove it from him.

Once his shirt was removed, he placed his hands on her hips and drew her into his body. She leaned into him, loving the strength that he surrounded her in. She placed her hands at his wrists and began caressing his arms, working upwards until she reached the tattoos that covered his biceps. Lightly, she began tracing both of the patterns with her fingers and she felt him shutter against her movements. She looked at him and locked her blue gray eyes into his sea green. Suddenly she was filled with dread. The new moon was less than two days away. If what Damien had told them was true, it could very well mean Christian's time as a mere mortal was short. "Christian, I don't want to lose you."

"Hey, now. Where did this come from?" He pulled her tighter into his embrace, as she moved her hands up to entwine her fingers into the nape of his hair, resting her head against his chest just beneath his chin. "You're not going to lose me, because I am not going anywhere."