11

La'llia watched as Alfred sat at her desk within her study. He was intent on his conversation with whomever he was speaking with on the phone, but instantly waved her in when he saw her. She smiled as she noted he was nodding, like the other person could 'see' his affirmation. She only chuckled and quickly sat down across from him as he wrapped up his conversation. "Thank you Miranda, I will be sure to keep an eye out for it. I am assuming that we are using our resources to explore the cavern beneath the Museum?" Her interest instantly peaked. So the rumor had been true. She looked down at the package she held, just recently delivered from Norfolk, VA. She raised and waved it slightly to grab Alfred attention. He raised his eyebrows. "Ah, it would seem my package has arrived. Keep me appraised of any developments please."

After he hung up she asked. "I assume this is from Miranda?" She slid the package towards him. "Why take the chance for it to be picked up by sending it carrier?"

"I took a chance because I didn't have anyone else to spare to send to retrieve it, and she couldn't leave her facility. At least now I know Miranda can be trusted." Using the letter opener on her desk, he carefully opened the package. He pulled what appeared to be several leather bound journals from the peanuts that surrounded it, along with a letter. He quickly scanned the letter before handing it to La'llia to read.

"Alfred, As discussed these were retrieved from the rooms within the caverns beneath the museum. If we find more I will be certain to notify you as quickly as possible. My team will work on discovering what more these caverns hold for us. This is quite a find! Just as a point of interest, you should review the more recent of journals. They are quite interesting and offer some insight to your current students own dilemma. Although, I would not call these journals any type of Bible for the Code, they are enlightening to some of our own origins. I wish you luck on your pursuits and should you require my assistance again, feel free to contact me. Best Wishes, Miranda S."

La'llia slid the letter back to Alfred and picked up one of the journals. She smoothed her hand across the front of it, removing the dust that had gathered and feeling the soft leather cover. The closure was made of a leather strap that simply tied on the front and they appeared to be quite old. She looked at her old Master as he did the same to the one he had been holding as well. "There are five journals in total. From the coloring of the pages and the makeup of the journal itself they have seen many lifetimes. We should take care to handle these with caution. I wouldn't want to ruin them."

She nodded an affirmation, but carefully untied the one she held, opening to the first page of the journal she noticed the handwriting was feminine and seemed quite old. There were no dates to clue them into how long they had remained hidden. La'llia began to read. 'Christopher visited again today. I do not think he will be leaving now. Father is not happy...' "Alfred these are a girls journals."

"More than a just girl La'llia, it would appear she was an Eternal that held the power of Water and Air." He began to read from the book he held. "I do not know why I have been chosen to carry this burden. Becoming the village's healer has always been the goal of Father. This is now an uncertainty that I do not know what to do with. Tonight I will meet with Christopher and hope that together we can find a solution to my uncertainties. Her next entry reads, Christopher has revealed to me that he too carries the same burden that I do. He has tried to convince me that we have been chosen as a sign and that what we have is not a burden or a curse, but a blessing. Lord above, I want to believe. Christopher has sworn to stand by my side, to teach me to control the very air we breathe."

As Alfred read the passage from the journal he read, La'llia was quickly scanning what remained of the three, finding the most recent as Miranda had implied. Her heart was racing, this girl and this Christopher were a snapshot into what she had begun to deal with. She needed to find some answers. Her heart raced as she found the one she was looking for. "Alfred..." She met his gaze briefly and then began to read.