Chapter Ten

You laughed and ran down the stairs, grabbing some of the items they were laden with. As you took the iced tea from Rooster, your hand brushed his lightly, but this time, he didn't flinch away from your touch. You smiled lightly at him and went into the kitchen. The guys followed you, and you all deposited the food and drink in the fridge or in cupboards. The house was devoid of food, as this was just a summer home, so it was probably for the best that they had stopped by the store.

You were determined to use this mini holiday to make things right with Rooster, so you turned to the two of them as you put the last of the candy into the cupboard under the island counter. "I was starting to get worried about you guys. I was actually getting ready to text when you showed up."

"It's true, she was sweating buckets. I told her not to worry, but she didn't listen to me." Phoenix entered the room, munching on a celery stick. Clearly you had been the only one who was worried, and it had been very obvious. You felt yourself turn slightly pink.

"Anyways. Thanks for grabbing food guys."

Payback lightly slapped you on the back. "Appreciate the concern Echo. We were fine."

You nodded. Rooster turned to Phoenix. "Where are our rooms?"

She left the room, the two of them trailing behind, to point out their rooms. She brushed past Hangman, who was entering the kitchen. He nodded at you and opened the liquor cabinet.

"Jake, it's like 2 P.M."

"Are you seriously judging me right now?" He looked at you, laughing incredulously.

"I would never. I just thought you'd prefer to drink with all of us. And don't think I haven't forgotten the day after Uno night." That first week felt like years ago now, even though it had been less than two months.

He laughed. "Fair play." He returned the vodka to the cabinet. You made your way over to the living room, where Bob and Fanboy were chatting.

"Hey guys! How do you like the place so far?"

You smiled at his enthusiasm. "It's great Bob! Thank you so much for hosting us."

"Aww, of course, I love you guys!"

"Aww you big softie." Hangman attacked him with a noogie. You groaned, but your dismay at their childish behavior was lost on them. The three guys started roughhousing, so you left them to it. As you passed the stairs down to the beach, you saw Fritz, Omaha, Halo, and Coyote sitting down there. Coyote waved you over, and you held up one finger to signal that you needed a minute. Quickly, you ran to your room to change into your swimsuit and grab a towel. You headed back out, joining Coyote in the glorious sun.

As you laid in the sun, Omaha, Halo, and Fritz made their way out, deciding to go to a local diner to get a late lunch. Coyote turned to face you once they were out of ear shot. He propped his head on one arm, laying on his side. He looked a bit like someone posing for a magazine cover.

"So what happened. We're all dying to know, we've even placed bets."

You looked at him innocently. "What happened with what, dearest Coyote?"

He opened his mouth to answer, but Payback, Fanboy, and Rooster were coming down the stairs, and you raised your eyebrows at him to tell him to shut up. He turned around, saw them, and groaned. "We were just about to get juicy guys." He complained to them as they laid out their towels.

'Oh, is that what we're calling sex now?" Payback grinned at him. Coyote hit Payback lightly. You laughed.

"Coyote wanted the latest gossip, that's all. But do not fret, I told him nothing." You couldn't help glancing at Rooster as you said this, and it was clear from his face that he knew it was about him. He was smirking, but quickly turned stony-faced again and looked at the water.