1. Rafael

"Raf! Come on you're gonna be late!"

I sighed at the sound of my mom's voice, spitting the excess toothpaste into the sink and turning on the faucet to wash it down the drain. "Just a sec ma!"

I swiftly rinsed off my toothbrush and grabbed my bottle of hair gel from the medicine cabinet, squeezing a small amount onto my fingers and haphazardly running my hands through my hair. The sudden sound of the door opening made me flinch, "¡Ay, Dios mío!" I glared at my younger brother currently standing in the doorway, "Aren't you supposed to be at school?"

Emilio's eyebrows raised disbelievingly as I placed the bottle back on the shelf, "I would be if you knew how to wake up on time."

"Watch it," I warned as I pushed past him into the living room. "I couldn't go to sleep last night because someone was on their phone last night." I watched with satisfaction as his expression dropped; he knew mom's rule against phones at night. "Thin walls, buddy."

"Pendejo," I heard him mutter behind me just as mom walked into the room.

She was carrying my younger sister on her hip with one hand, juggling a handful of items with the other. "Ma," I started as I made my way over and grabbed Alicia from her, "Milo just called me an asshole."

"Emilio," she groaned with clear frustration, "We talked about this, mi amor. If you're going to curse, at least do it outside of the apartment."

My brother huffed at her words and I looked back at him, sticking my tongue out and grinning as his jaw dropped. "Ma! Did you just see that?" I turned my head back around, bouncing Alicia in my arms and chuckling when she squealed. "He just stuck his tongue out at me!"

I looked down at my mom innocently, "No I didn't. I've been playing with Alicia this whole time."

"Rafael, stop teasing your brother please."

"Fine," I mumbled with an eye roll, sputtering as Alicia's small hand suddenly landed on my face. "I think she just tried to hit me," I whispered in shock.

My baby sister merely stared up at me, all smiles and wide eyes. I pressed my lips together, resisting the urge to grin when she leaned up and pressed her lips on my chin. It was sloppy and open-mouthed - and I was pretty sure I'd never be able to get all of the drool off - but it was her way of giving me a kiss so I couldn't even be upset.

"And if we don't leave now, she won't be the only one," mom warned as she opened the front door.

"Right," I smiled sheepishly, "Lo siento mamá."

She ushered the three of us into the hallway and I winced as I heard the door's hinges creak as she closed it behind her; I really needed to fix that.

"Looks like we have new neighbors," Milo observed as we walked past the apartment beside ours, the door open and the living room filled with boxes. I tilted my head slightly to see past Alicia into the apartment, frowning in confusion when I noticed that there was no one inside.

"They should probably keep the door closed though," I mused aloud. While I wasn't exactly worried that something would be stolen (despite the building's outside appearance, all the residents were nice enough), we still didn't live in the best neighborhood and there was always the possibility of someone just walking in.

Mom nodded in the corner of my eye and I glanced over at her as she said, "I'll go over after I drop you guys off. We still have those cookies right?"

I nodded, "I think so. I mean I didn't even have any so-," I shrugged.