11. Rafael

This was heaven. 

It had to be. 

Because how else could I possibly be in my bedroom with my crush of three years?

Granted, she was currently giving all of her attention to a giggly, messy baby but we were completely alone otherwise. 

Alicia's room was just across from mine, but since it was also sort of being used as a storage room, there wasn't really anywhere to sit. I'd jokingly offered my room, assuming that she'd decline and we'd go to the living room, only for my heart to try jumping out of my chest at her unexpected agreement. 

"I wish I had a younger sibling," Sage suddenly stated, bringing me back to the situation at hand. "Or any other sibling for that matter," she glanced away from Alicia for a brief second to give me a small smile. 

I adjusted slightly on the bed to look at her more fully, "You say that now," I chuckled. "But that's just because you don't know what it's really like."

Sage abruptly moved to sit on the bed beside me and I tensed as her weight settled and felt the mattress sink slightly below her. Alicia squealed at the new position, bouncing on Sage's lap and grabbing at the poor girl's hair. "Well what's it like then?" 

My mouth was dry. 

Words

I needed words

I swallowed, "You know uh-," mierda, "Tantrums, fights, yelling, never having your own personal space, always having to take responsibility for everyone else, constantly-." 

"In theory," she interrupted and I released a breath of relief because I had no idea when that rant was going to end. "That does sound pretty terrible," she turned her head to meet my eyes. "But have you ever wanted them out of your life because of it?" 

It was silent between us, the only evidence that someone was even in my room being the eager little girl sitting on her legs. 

Finally, "There was a time when I wanted Emilio to be gone," I admitted. "When they first brought him home and he was getting all of the attention I used to get." I'd remembered asking my dad if they could send him back to wherever they got him from. That's obviously not how that worked, but I had no idea at the time. 

Sage raised an eyebrow, "But," she stressed and I softened at her teasing. 

"But," I repeated and felt like I'd won a medal from the grin I was awarded, "He's my brother. Of course I love him. I love them both," I affectionately rubbed Alicia's head, making her giggle and kick her feet. 

"See," Sage said and my eyebrows furrowed. "I'd want a big brother like you." Was that a good thing? "Someone who loves me unconditionally, no matter how many fights we have or how much we annoy each other."

I blinked at her. 

Couldn't she see that I was already willing to be that for her? 

All she had to do was say it and I would be. 

In a heartbeat; no questions asked. 

Unconditionally. 

Just like she wanted. 

I cleared my throat, looking down at Alicia's smiling face to distract myself from my thoughts. I heard Sage sigh, "I guess family just has that special bond. Always have, always will." I forced my gaze to meet hers when she paused and her expression was so gentle and sincere then, so full of emotion that it made me breathless. "Right?"