9. Rafael

Sage's apartment was sparsely decorated - which I supposed made sense because she did just move in - but it didn't feel like it was. 

It was . . . comfortable. 

I didn't know what to do with myself at first, just standing next to the couch and watching as Sage flittered about the living room. It seemed like she was looking for something, but I couldn't exactly say for sure. 

She was leaning over the TV with her back towards me now (I'll admit that my eyes did trail a bit lower than they should have), a hand resting on the stand to presumably hold up her weight. 

"Where's your parents?" 

She turned her head to face me at the sound of my voice then and it felt like I was watching something straight out of movie when her hair fell just perfectly over her shoulder. "What?" Her eyebrows were furrowed but she still somehow had the sweetest expression on her face. 

Her gaze moved from my form to the couch and back again, "Aren't you gonna sit down?" 

I couldn't keep eye contact with her to save my life. 

I nodded, "Right. Yeah."

I was acting like a total drunken fool; I literally stumbled when I tried to sit down. "So," why was this so difficult? "What's up?" 

She looked amused, "Just - you know - stuff." 

"Cool," I rubbed my sweaty palms on my jeans, "Cool, cool, cool." 

She was still looking for something, so I took the chance to look at her

She was wearing a sweatshirt that seemed far too big for her (did it belong to a guy?) and plain shorts with knee high socks and her hair was a bit damp. It was so simple, but she looked so perfect. 

I forced my eyes away, opting to look at what little decorations they did have. There was a number of photographs lining the walls, and a modest rug in front of the couch. And there was no sign of a coffee table or an end table in sight, but there was a floor lamp in a corner adjacent to the television. 

I adjusted slightly to get a better look at one of the images; it was of a young couple, and it kind of looked like it was taken at a wedding. 

"Is that them?" I gestured to the portrait when she glanced at me. 

She looked at the item I was referencing and her movements slowed before they stopped altogether. She seemed to hesitate for a second and I couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking. 

She blinked a few times, "Yeah. My parents."

I didn't need any more elaboration than a simple yes or no since we both knew what I was asking, but I didn't dare object. 

"Your mom's really pretty," I complimented because not only was it true but it was the least I could do for her. I knew I'd been praising Sage a lot (most of them weren't even on purpose) and it looked like she was uncomfortable every time I did. 

So, even if it meant I couldn't express my real feelings or be as close to her as I'd like, making her comfortable around me was my top priority. 

"They won't mind that I'm here?" 

I knew Ma would completely flip if I brought home a girl at ten in the evening. 

Sage snorted and I had to resist a smile, "Please. If anything my mom will congratulate me on it." She sighed, shaking her head as though she were disappointed but there was a clear grin on her face. "Besides, she's asleep right now cause she has an early shift tomorrow."