Chapter One: A Nobody

The tower hurt to look at for too long. It was the tallest building in the country and necks would go stiff, craning upwards at unnatural angles to stare at the mirror-like glass walls.

Despite the late hour, many of the windows were still lit with the cold, white glow of fluorescent office bulbs. It is said that the tower never truly shuts down; someone is always there clicking away at a keyboard. Rumor has it that the windows are bullet proof, and the architects designed any hinges to open no more than a few inches. A preemptive design based on a relatively new expression. The higher the building, the higher the body count.

I was alone in the circular cobblestone courtyard that was generally filled with tourists during the daylight. The hour was late and even though the first snow of the year hadn't fallen yet, the wind sent a chill to the bone. I stood as close to the base of the tower as possible. Twenty yards was the minimum distance, a small white picket fence, landscaped with red tulips, marked the perimeter that was illuminated in the moonlight. The tulips grew year round, as the soil was heated and watered from underground. The ornate fence was not the security, that could be easily jumped, but no one would ever dare try. I focused my senses, staring without really seeing at the first floor entrance. I could just barely hear it. The faint buzzing. The small vibrations set my teeth on edge, shakily grinding against each other and leaving a metallic taste on my tongue.

I bent down and took a decorative rock from the tulip bed on my side of the fence. I played with it in my hands, rubbing my thumb in small circles over the surface, my thumb pads grew even colder. It was smooth, white, and perfect. I hated it. Stepping back, I launched it at the tower. It arched high above my head, going straight for an unlit, second floor window, before the humming grew louder. The small, white rock was illuminated green with a million lasers for a moment before exploding into a thousand pieces. The dust shimmered in the moonlight for a millisecond like a peaceful snow before the alarm went off.

I ran. No, I sprinted down the nearest street, heading for the East End. The poor end. No one, not even the Persim Tower security guards, wanted to go into the East End. My legs burned as I pulled my hood over my head. I ran block after block; it wasn't until the buildings began to change and look dilapidated that I slowed down. I thought I heard footsteps echoing down the pavement behind me, but I couldn't be sure. I tucked into a small alley where the shadows were not penetrated by street lights. The dumpster smelled horrid, but it made a decent hiding spot. I crouched behind it and waited breathing through my mouth to keep my eyes from watering from the stench. The footsteps grew nearer, but they were slowing down. At the end of the alley, under a flickering street lamp, I could see a plump security guard waddling to a stop. Out of breath he panted into a radio on his shoulder.

"Whoever it was is gone." Taking his left hand off the button he said to the street, "I hate this shit hole of a place." He pressed the button again, "Heading back." He kept his right hand on his gun holster and narrowed his eyes as he did a quick scan.

The radio crackled a response, "Yeah, sounds good. Checked the cameras. Looked like some kid. Probably on a dare. It'd be a waste of time to send the drones out."

The security officer turned the way he came, and looked back once before jogging off back toward Persim Tower. I watched his out of shape ass bounce out of sight. After a few more heartbeats I stepped away from my foul smelling hiding place and into the street where the security officer had just stood. I looked up. Persim Tower could still be seen over the rooftops, windows glowing white, a constant reminder all over the city that they were always there working away. I heard a buzzing noise above my head. Fucking drone police, I thought. My heart jumped into my throat, and I took my hands out of my pockets before the street lamp above me flickered more intensely before it sputtered out.