Chapter Twenty-Nine: Persim Tower

Sleep was something beyond my reach. It was almost 4 o'clock in the morning when we got back. Logos and Pathos were quiet in my head, but I could still feel them. They were just as confused as me.

How can I control animals? How can I make things appear?

The brother and sister had no answers for me, so I spent the next few hours tossing and turning trying to comprehend what I can now do. My guts twisted into knots when I thought of seeing President Persim face to face in less than twelve hours. Eventually I just gave up and began to get ready. I borrowed some makeup from Aunt Sarah Gene in an attempt to hide the scratches and dark circles on my face. Then I paced and counted down the minutes.

For being a private meeting, the plaza in front of Persim Tower certainly was packed. The bodies were so close the cold winter air dissipated upon entering the masses. Masses, not a mass. There was a clear divide. There were boos emanating from from my left as I exited the Grand Marquis in the same suit I wore to the rally, my videos, and the school board meeting. I read signs saying, "She promotes fear," "Lies feed Lies," "Trust our Leader."

To my right I heard applause. Signs read "Carpenter Builds!" "We've been lied to," "Listen to the Truth." And around the perimeter were police. I made my way down a narrow path blocked by Persim Tower security on both sides. Sam, Nathan, and even little Ava followed behind me. Then we got to the white fence. The tulips grew bright red in the March air, fully recovered or replaced since the last time I had been here. I reached forward to open the picket fence gate. My hand was slapped away by the guard nearest to me with hairy hands. He spoke into the radio on his shoulder. "Carpenter."

I hadn't noticed before, but I could now hear the buzzing cut through the cacophony of the crowd. Then it was gone in an instant after his radio crackled a response. I reached for the gate again, and swung it open on soundless hinges. The 20 yards of circular grass surrounding the tower was manicured to perfection. My feet grew warm. The grass here was green while the surrounding world was brown and gray. I reached behind me to take Sam's hand, and found nothing but air. The buzzing returned, louder on this side of the fence. I turned around to see my companions on the other side as the gate swung shut.

"Private. Meeting," the guard growled, separating the words.

Sam opened his mouth to argue, but Nathan grabbed his shoulder. I mouthed "Thank you," to Nathan. I closed the hand that ached to hold Sam's into a fist. I was alone on the other side of the fence.

Isolation is one of my brother's favorite tactics. Pathos rang out in my skull.

My legs were shaky as I walked toward the glass doors. The sense of confidence gifted upon me by Pathos and Logos was nowhere to be had. I could feel their own nervous energy reverberating off my very core. This was more than me and Persim, to them, this was a family matter.

Ten more shaky steps and I would be inside the tower. Ten more steps, and I thought to myself, I might have an "accident" and never return. A fat snowflake landed on my forehead and melted. I watched the new flakes drift towards the ground. The heat emanating off the grass had them vanishing a foot before they touched the perfect grass, leaving picturesque droplets in their wake. Then I was inside. The glass doors slid shut behind me, and the world was silent. The room appeared to be like any business lobby. Leather sofas were placed next to the marble columns supporting the ceiling of this circular room. Lined up perfectly with the arm of every chair was a black end table with a bright red anthurium flower placed upon it.

"Ms. Cora Carpenter, I presume." A woman with a bun so tight her skin looked ready to snap off her skull said in an equally tight voice. In front of me was a long desk with 10 computers in a row, but only this one woman stood behind the very end computer.