Chapter Thirty-One: Health Care

I didn't need Logos to tell me the logical next step was to run. I ran down the darkened halls of the office space. I slammed on the elevator buttons. My body felt electric and exhausted at the same time as I leaned on the elevator walls. It carried me to the lobby floor and opened to the setting sun streaming in the glass. The secretary looked up from her computer and the smile melted from her face. I didn't give her time to react as I ran for the door. The cold air was a relief as it surged into my nose. The crowd was silent as it stared at my blood stained front. I can use this. They will see this as Persim's fault. How could they not?

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see President Persim herself. She had changed into a black blazer with a spotlessly white dress underneath. She tapped the side of her neck and her voice was projected from speakers on the tower.

"You really must get those nose bleeds checked out. Here," she extended her hand toward me, "Take this." I hesitantly reached for the leather jacket in her hands.

"She is a tough one to negotiate with," Persim now spoke to the silent mass. "I almost have her won over," her voice was friendly and jovial, "but her poor health brings our meeting to an end. Which brings me to another topic, our health care system in this country thrives. The benefit of your choice is nothing to be scoffed at."

Bitch, I thought. She killed universal health care years ago. Choice was her propaganda as the impoverished slunk back into the shadows.

"I know how healthy and happy our country has grown since we returned to and strengthened these policies. I am, however, announcing a new program to benefit so many in our progressive world. Unwanted pregnancies can damage an already existing life. Based on income needs, people can now benefit themselves."

"Income needs!" I shouted with disdain, but I was not heard. The speaker implanted in her vocal chords did not pick up my voice. The doors to Persim Tower opened, and Sasquatch stepped out. I walked back to the picket gate before he could 'escort' me. A guard spoke into his shoulder as I approached. He waited a second and then opened the little door for me. I melted into the crowd, that unblinkingly stared at Persim.

Within 24 hours there were posters plastered around the city. Drones projected commercials onto the walls of public spaces, "Check to see if your income qualifies you for a free vasectomy." "Can't afford your mistake? Go to to see if you qualify for a reduced cost abortion." "Adoption is not an option. Handle your mistakes, go to to find a list of your choices."

Robert did as I asked and had hacked into the drone's operating system by the next morning. It was a small victory. The commercials would be operational most likely in less than a day's time again. He stayed awake through the night and looked exhausted by morning when he knocked at Aunt Sarah Gene's door to show me what I had asked for. Part of me felt guilty. Did he waste his night because he was my friend doing the right thing, or because Pathos and Logos had their roots in me?

The computer screen blinked with little red dots marking where the drones that had been playing the commercials were stationed. Every park in the East End had them set to loop continuously. The farther reaches of the city, suburbia for the wealthy, had none. Persim was targeting these brainwashing ads at the poor. He clicked through the screens. Showing every major city in the country. The demographic spread was the same. Women's choice was only a choice if the idea wasn't planted in their minds. "We need to take this information public," I said. "I can get more than the youth in this city on our side this time."

"I can set us up for a livestream by tomorrow morning," Robert said. The circles under his eyes screamed to let him sleep.

"No, not a livestream. I want to give a speech at the Garfield Park Annex. Go home, Robert. I'll make some calls for this."

A few phone calls, and an easy persuasion later, I had the annex booked for next Saturday morning.

A knock on my bedroom door had my heart jump into my throat. It was late, Aunt Sarah Gene should be asleep. Slowly, I opened it.

Sam stood sheepishly on the other side. He held out a bag, and I took it. Inside were clothes, new clothes.

"A thank you. I know you need some nicer stuff, so I uh. Well, it's a thank you for saving me before."

"Well, I wasn't going to just let Persim have you. Wait no, that sounds wrong. Sam, I-" but I couldn't finish my sentence. His eyes were locked on mine as he moved closer.

Then we kissed.

I tried to express everything without words. How he had come to mean so much to me in a short amount of time. How him being gone had hit me like a brick. How I felt the beginning of new feelings toward him.

When we finally pulled apart I knew things had shifted. He looked at me sheepishly. It reminded me of the first night I met him during the riot. He had been so quiet and jumpy. Now he was unsure of how he would be received.

I smiled up at him and went in for another kiss.