Chapter 38: The End

I had come home from work exhausted, putting in extra hours to get this week's articles done on time. Aunt Sarah Gene had invited me over for dinner, as she did a couple times a week now. I quickly showered and changed before hurrying over to her home.

I shut the door to Aunt Sarah Gene's home a bit too loudly, and she hollered from the kitchen, "Don't you go breakin' my door." Then in a softer voice, "Supper will be ready in twenty minutes give or take."

"Do you need help with anything?" I asked entering the kitchen.

She shook her head at me and returned to concentrating on whatever was making delicious smells in the pot.

I went upstairs and sat in my old room. I looked in the mirror I used to sit in front of and talk to Pathos and Logos. A pang of emptiness swept through me.

"I'm just as well off as I was before they came, even better," I said to myself in the mirror. I moved to the bed and took out my wallet. I felt re-energized as I counted out bills. It felt good to be able to pay Aunt Sarah Gene something back, even if $1,000 for rent was pocket change for the time I had spent here.

"Supper!" hollered Aunt Sarah Gene from downstairs. I practically ran down the steps, the smell of sweet potatoes had been wafting into my room. I reached the bottom of the landing and turned the corner into the dining room.

Bam. I hit a warm wall. The white fabric smelled familiar; I looked up into the sweet brown eyes of Sam. He smiled down at me, and I pushed away. I tucked the money into my pocket and stared at him. Caught off guard, I hadn't seen him in weeks, our new work schedules making it difficult for us. I had assumed all the feelings that had been between us were the result of Pathos and Logos, and I hadn't even bothered to send him a text.

"Hey," he said.

"Um, hey."

There was a sniffling noise from the kitchen. Aunt Sarah Gene stood leaning against the refrigerator, holding a kitchen towel to her face.

"She's upset about the dinner," Sam said to me.

"I am not!" she shouted. "It'll keep. Go on, get out of here. But when you are done come back here and tell me all about it." She dabbed at her eyes and walked away into the living room.

"I'm taking you out to dinner."

"You are?" I asked. Did he actually like me, just me, no Pathos or Logos attached?

Then the shy Sam I knew came back, "I mean, if you want to."

My eyebrows shot up, "Of course I do, Sam. I just, well...I haven't seen you since... I thought-"

"I was embarrassed. I had nothing to offer. I still don't have much, but work's been steady. I, uh" he paused to scratch the back of his head. "Italian?"

I laughed, "Antonio's down the street?" He nodded and took my hand. My heart jumped into my throat at his touch, and it didn't want to come down as we walked out onto the front porch.

It was a little after 9 o'clock when we made our way back to Aunt Sarah Gene's. She sat at the dining room table with a mug of something warm in her wrinkled hands. Two more steaming cups sat out without owners.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're back! Let me pour you two a cup of this tea."

"Who's here, Aunt Sarah Gene?" I asked, gesturing towards the already poured cups.

"Oh, I can't remember their names. Funny sounding."

"Where are they?"

"Well, now I'm not sure," she looked confused, her face was stuck somewhere between bliss and being utterly lost. "They-they went upstairs...but oh my that was a while ago now."

Sam let go of my hand and ran upstairs. I quickly followed, I heard Aunt Sarah Gene from below, "I'm sure they aren't here to do us harm...oh my."

Sam ran down the hall to Aunt Sarah Gene's room. He flung open the door and went to the jewelry box she kept on her ancient dresser. I split and went to my room. I only had one thing of value, and I had stashed it here rather than at my apartment for safe keeping. I pushed the door open slowly so as not to alert anyone on the other side of my presence. I saw no one when the door was open, but my light was on, illuminating my old room white and yellow. I knew I had turned it off before leaving for dinner. I walked to the mirror and took in my reflection. I swallowed hard, if it was missing...if he was missing someone could so easily undo the little progress that had been made.

I shifted the mirror so I could get at the back. I sighed relief, the pillow I had taped was still there. I patted it, but the lump I expected underneath was gone. Ripping the pillow from the back of the mirror I saw nothing but wood. My knees hit the floor. He would come back, and only him this time.

"Hi, honey." I jumped at the voice. Looking up from the carpet I saw the two most beautiful faces human beings could have. Faces that used to be with me only.

"Ethos will be safer with us," Logos said from beside Pathos. He wore a brown tweed jacket, and his glasses were reflecting the light of the lamps at an angle where I could not see his eyes. He wore a gold watch on his left hand, and in his right I saw the vial of green smoke. He waited until I noticed it, before tucking it inside his jacket and giving it a gentle pat.

I ran at them and squeezed them both into a hug. They were flesh and blood, and they hadn't left me.

I stood back to take in the sight of them.

"How is this possible?"

Logos laughed, "For once I am not sure what to say. Things had been changing while we were with you. Something about your mind allowed us to taste the physical world for ourselves until we were a part of it."

"What are you going to do with him?" I asked, looking at Logos' breast pocket.

It was Pathos that answered, "We are not sure yet, but he is our brother." Her rosy lips pursed together for a moment, "He is our responsibility." And that was it, before I could ask anymore questions Pathos swept over to me, her golden, yellow long summer dress making little waves as she walked. Her soft hands were around my shoulders as she pulled me in for another embrace.

"Cora, it looks like whoever it was is gone," Sam said walking down the hall and entering the room. "Oh, uh..." Pathos let go of me and nearly floated over to Sam to give him a hug.

"Sam," I cleared my throat. These are some old friends of mine."