Secrets Lie Within: Year 1 Part 12

Chapter 12:

It's the end of Potions class for the day. Roselia was reading in her textbook when she comes across something for the next potion that they are going to learn about - the pompion potion. It's a potion where the drinker's head will temporarily turn into a pumpkin. One of the ingredients stood out the most. The bouncing bulb, but she has never heard of this ingredient before.

"Ex-Excuse me, Pro-Professor Snape?" Softpaw speaks softly, walking up to him.

"Yes, Miss Softpaw?" he answers, a little coldly, sitting at his desk.

"F-For the ne-next potion, the pom-pompion potion," she says, stuttering as usual, "there's an-an ingredient th-that I'm not f-familiar with."

"And what's the ingredient?"

"The-The B-Bouncing B-Bulb," the white-haired student tells him. "Wh-What is-is it? Pro-Professor Sprout didn't r-really l-look into it."

"The Bouncing Bulb is a magical plant that must be contained because of its bounce, hence the name Bouncing Bulb," Snape lectures. "Its main stem was a disproportionate purple bulb, with a bunch of leaves growing on the top. When making potions, it is best when it's young because mature bulbs could reach to the size of a doorway."

Her eyes widen in shock. "O-Oh, my!"

"Yes, also, they can be aggressive when they feel threatened. They'll jump towards the possible attacker and try to hit."

"I-Is there a-a spell or charm t-to calm the b-bulb?"

"A simple Knockback Jinx will stop it, but a mature one would require using Fire-Making Spell, Incendio, to wither it, because it is quite strong."

"Th-Thank y-you, Pro-Professor Snape for th-the lecture," Roselia softly smiles.

"You are welcome, Miss Softpaw, but I have something to ask you about," his tone grew colder and more serious.

It makes the young student nervous as she tries not to mess up her diaper. "Wh-What is it, s-sir?" she asked, trying not to be nervous.

"You seem to be hanging out with Professor Quirrell a lot this year," Snape mentions. "Why is that?" a look of specious appears.

His cold, dark eyes stare more into her hues. Her body stiffens a little a the intensity of his stare. "H-He's pl-planning o-o-on ad-adopting me."

"But don't you already have parents?"

"Umm," Roselia's nervousness switches to sadness, "birth givers never really loved me." Her head lowers as her shoulder-length snowy locks fall around her pale face.

"My apologies, Miss Softpaw," Snape softens. "You are dismissed."

She didn't say a word, but bowed to her professor and leaves his classroom.

Snape sighs while propping his hands to his lips. "I need to keep an eye on her," he mumbles under his breath.

Roselia hides away in a hidden spot in a nearby corridor. Tears freely fall from her eyes down to her knees.

Memories of the past flooded back. Countless times whenever her birth givers take her out as a "family" she will see others her age having a great time with their parents. Just seeing how happy the families create a dark cloud of sadness hovering over the white-haired locks.

Questions of wanting to know why she didn't have a warm, loving family growing up. She lifts her head to see her arms are wet from sobbing. Roselia wipes the tears with her claw but ends up scratching herself. It was a small scratch, similar to a papercut, but it stung a lot. Instead of more tears, the dark eyes linger on the scratch. Another appeared. Than another. Within seconds, the whole pale arm is now covered in red scratches deep enough for blood to appear, but not bleed out.

Physical doesn't hurt as much as mental pain.

It wasn't enough. She needs more to numb the pain she feels in her heart. Roselia mirrors the action on her other arm, but it wasn't deep because it's not her dominant hand.

Meanwhile, Madam Pomfrey was walking down a hallway towards the Hospital Wing from a quick meeting with the Headmaster. She sees a flash of white from a hidden location. Her head turns and gasps at what she sees. "Roselia!" she hurries over, kneeling next to her. "Oh, dear, look at your arms!" the healer examines the little arms. "Come now, let's get you to the hospital wing!" Then she keeps on saying something that the young student shouldn't be doing this.

Roselia didn't say a word but obeys her by standing on her feet. The little girl is numb from the memories and cuts on her arms.