Road trip

The drive to where my daughter is, was long, boring yet for some reason, I didn't want it to end, because for what felt like a long time, I was having fun.

"Tell me about your daughter."

Blake, who was driving had not mentioned my daughter since my NY apartment, the subject of -Becca felt like a dark cloud so I didn't want to cause any discomfort during the car ride, I couldn't think of anymore worse than an awkward car ride with my mate.

My mate... this handsome guy is my mate, it still feels so insane.

I always thought Rolen would be my life partner... but things don't always work out the way you had hoped.

"Well, she's five." I smile as her cheeky face comes to mind. "She likes animals, or should I say she loves cats, black cats, not brown, that's important to know." I say laughing whilst remembering her telling me it has to be black.

Blake nods his head. "What else?" He asks, looking at me from the corner of his eye as he drives the car.

"She's smart, she would rather watch a documentary than cartoons, I always used to think she was an old soul, she's so wise for her age, sometimes I forget just how old she really is." I smile sadly.

My daughter... who has lived all her five years in hiding, who is larger than life and has yet to experience true happiness... she still smiles and laughs despite all that.

"She's so strong." I say, my voice breaking. "Not once has she complained or cried that she wanted to go play with other kids or she wanted to come home with me."

Blake puts his hand over mine. "It must have been hard." 

"Who looks after her?"

I look at Blake and that's when the reality of him coming finally hits me.

Shit- I didn't think about this, Blake could be a problem, after all, the person who's looking after my daughter isn't exactly...

How am I going to say this? 

"Your silence speaks louder." Blake mumbles. "Are they wanted criminals?"

I grimace and shake my head. "Not exactly." I sigh. "Let's just say, he's unlucky to have been related to wanted criminals..."

"What's his name ,Lorelei?" Blake asks, his eyes hardening at me.

Five years I've kept this hidden... five years of protecting him from not only the magical law enforcement but his brother, who would be more than happy to kill him for what he did to help me hide Becca.

"Ren." I shift in my seat. "Ren Keen."

Blake's head whips to me and when I see his face, I see just how furious he looks.

"Rolen Keen's brother?" He confirms as I nod my head. "You're fucking kidding me, he's a wanted criminal Lorelei."

"Are you so stupid to leave your daughter with a dangerous man?" He berates me in a harsh tone as he grips the steering wheel. 

It takes me a moment to actually believe he just spoke to me like that.

"Excuse me?" I say startled. "You don't know anything about Ren, nor me or my daughter, how can you sit there and judge me given my situation?" I snap out, ignoring his glare.

"Ren was there when nobody would help me." I snapped. "My daughter is safer with Ren than with anyone else, I trust him!"

"Trust?" He scoffs out. "He's killed people, and you trust him with your five-year-old daughter?"

Blake slows the car down and pulls over to the side of the road, then turns off the car.

"What are you doing?"  I ask when he goes into his pocket and pulls out his phone.