Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Bringing your travel plans up to Elvis had been nerve-wracking, unsure of how your boyfriend would react to the news of you leaving for a week.

The Colonel, ever present in your and Elvis's business, had been overjoyed at the news.

"Perfect! We will take the tour to Texas, pick you and your, uh, friend, up and continue on our six week foray around the country!"

Elvis had been less than enthusiastic.

"I know is only for a week, Y/N, but it already feels like a lifetime."

His strong hands had cupped your cheek gently as he spoke, eyes filled with sorrow. You couldn't help but feel the same.

"I have to be there for Candy, Elvis. She really needs me right now."

Elvis had smiled, kissing you sweetly.

"You've got the biggest heart I've ever seen, baby. You be good now, okay?"

You nodded.

"Keep it to three, remember?" You reminded him softly, and he had agreed, pulling you into a tight hug.

Now, you sit on a plane heading towards Fort Worth Texas, head leaning against the open window. Candice sits soberly beside you, glum as ever.

You feel terrible for her, frightened for her brother. You've both seen the broadcasts from Vietnam, painfully aware of the horrors that are taking place in a far away jungle. You reach out to take her hand, offering a soft smile.

"We're all arranged to stay on base for the week, there's lodging for families there." You tell her.

She nods, pulling at one of her dark curls nervously.

"Do you think they'll let 'em take gifts with them?" She asks. You think for a moment.

"I can't see why not."

Candice removes her hand from yours to rummage around in her carryon bag, pulling out a silver necklace with a small pendant dangling from it.

"It's the Saint Christopher metal my grandmother gave me when our father died." She explains. Her eyes water a little.

"It's supposed to protect whoever it's given to."

Candice looks to you, and you give her a smile.

"It's beautiful, Candy. He'll love it."

She smiles back, bringing her hand up to swipe at her eyes.

"God, I'm so sick of crying." You both laugh a little.

The pilot comes on over the intercom, informing you that you'll be landing soon.

Candice sighs, placing the metal back into her bag.

You wrap an arm around her shoulders, shaking her gently.

"Hey, Reggie's gonna be so happy to see you Candy! We're gonna have blast before he leaves, right?"

You try to keep you voice light and encouraging, and it seems to work because Candice gives you a small smile, nodding her head. For a brief moment, the future looks positive.

*

*

*

Reggie is a lot taller than you thought he'd be. He meets you and Candice at the base airport, looking sharp in his army issued suit and hat.

His complexion is a little lighter than Candice's, but besides that their resemblance is uncanny. Same almond shaped eyes, bright smile, high cheekbones.