Always On My Mind

Candice fusses with her dress in the full length mirror, nails clicking against the pink sequins.

"Do you think this is too much?" She asks, turning to where you're pinning up your hair. You decide on a simpler look for tonight, not really wanting to attract any attention. You look around at her.

Candice stands tall in silver heels, pink sequins flashing in the lamplight. Her dark hair is curled prettily down her back, pink clips holding back her bangs.

"You look stunning, Candice!"

She blushes, flapping her hands at you.

"Stop, you have me blushing over here." She jokes, brushing a stray curl out of her face. You go to stand beside her, the skirt of your dress swaying against your thighs. It's a simple powder blue dress with sheer sleeves, not too long or too short. Your white boots tap against the hardwood as you go to pin back Candice's hair.

"These barrel chested freedom fighters aren't gonna know what to do with you, girl!" You tease, laughing as Candice rolls her eyes.

"You better be careful too, Y/N. You're looking pretty good yourself."

You shake your head.

"I'm spoken for, remember?" You tell her.

"Oh I remember alright." She says, cocking an eyebrow. "You and Presley are in love." Candice singsong's, drawing out the o in love. She takes your hands in hers, swinging you around playfully. You giggle, dancing around the room with her.

You're interrupted by a knock at the door.

Candice goes to open it, Reggie greeting you both with a wave and a smile.

His smile falls a little when he see's Candice's dress.

"Please tell me you aren't going out in that." He says, crossing his arms. Candice rolls her eyes.

"Reggie, I look nice."

Reggie scoffs.

"Yeah, too nice. These guys are gonna eat you alive, Candy."

Candice shrugs, hand on her hip.

"Well, maybe that's the point, little brother."

Reggie wrinkles his nose in disgust and you laugh.

"Okay, gross." His eyes move to you, and the disgusted expression is replaced with a soft smile.

"You look really pretty, Y/N."

You give him a friendly smile in return.

"Thank you, Reggie."

Candice raises an eyebrow, looking between the two of you.

"You gonna escort us to this party or what?" She asks, and you're thankful for it. Reggie draws his attention back to his sister.

"Impatient much?" Candice slaps his shoulder. "Ow! Okay, okay, lets go then."

*

*

*

The bar on base is small but busy, soldiers and pretty girls hanging around outside and inside the bar. You smooth down your dress as Reggie opens the door for you, smiling at him gratefully. It's loud, people laughing and music blasting from inside the building. It makes you a little nervous not having Elvis by your side, but you plan to have a good time tonight with your friends.

Candice loops her arm around yours.

"They're looking at you, Y/N." Candice says, nodding towards a group of soldiers by the entrance. You shake your head, bumping your hip into hers.