It Hurts Me

Graceland is beautiful. That's your first thought as you follow Jerry through the front doors, watching as he carefully leads Elvis into the home. You don't look around for long, though, quickly following the two men up the stairs towards Elvis's bedroom.

You'll have plenty of time to explore later.

Candice and Vernon bring up the rear, Candice standing at the bottom of the stairs with Vernon.

"I'm gonna call a doctor, get Candice a room all settled." Vernon calls up to you, and you nod, taking the steps two at a time.

Elvis's room is big and elegant, wall to wall carpet, a big bed in the center. Jerry helps Elvis onto it, Elvis kicking off his shoes and running a hand through his hair.

"I can take it from here, Jerry, thanks." He says, voice hoarse. Jerry nods, patting his friend on the shoulder. He looks at you and you offer him a grateful smile. Before leaving the room, Jerry gives you a one armed hug.

"We're gonna be alright." He whispers, and you nod. 

You stand at the entry way of the bedroom, watching Elvis lean back into the overstuffed pillows. With a sigh, his weary gaze falls onto you.

"Hi, Angel." He says, small smile on his lips.

You can't help the tears that well up in your eyes.

You go to him quickly, falling to his side in an instant.

"Shh, Y/N don't cry." Elvis says, trying to sit up a little. You stop him, pressing his shoulders back down.

"Vernon's calling a doctor for you," You say through your tears, feeling foolish. You wipe your eyes with the back of your hand. "How are you feeling?"

Elvis reaches up a hand, caressing your face.

"Gonna be just fine doll, I think whatever the Colonel had them stick me with is wearin' off." 

You can't tell if he's telling you this just to reassure you, but he does seem more lucid than before.

You cover the hand cupping your cheek.

"You really scared me, Elvis." You tell him softly. "I don't wanna lose you." 

The thought of a life without him terrifies you, stomach turning unpleasantly. Elvis's eyes crinkle into a weak smile.

"I ain't going anywhere, baby. You couldn't get rid of me if you tried."

You giggle a little, tears still falling down your face. You kiss his hand.

Vernon knocks on the entryway, peaking his head in.

"Doctor's on his way." He says. Elvis nods at him, gesturing for him to come in. You take this as your cue to leave, wanting to give Elvis time alone with his father. You sweep back his hair. 

"I'm gonna go help Candy settle into her room." 

Elvis smiles, not letting go of your hand until you're fully standing.

You press a light hand to Vernon's shoulder as you pass, giving him a reassuring smile.

*

*

*

You don't mean to snoop, but the house is so extravagant that you can't help but take a look around. Candice had waved off your attempt to help her unpack, telling you to get some much needed rest, so you decided to explore.

Your hand is trailing along the wall of one of the halls, eyes taking in their fill of every portrait and photo hung there.

At the very center, higher than all of the other photos, is a family portrait of Elvis and his parents. You're fingertips brush dust off of the photo, looking intently at the faces of everyone in the picture. You notice the resemblance between Elvis and his mother, how he holds her shoulders lovingly in the picture. You smile.

"She hated havin' her picture taken." A voice from behind you says, making you jump a little. You turn sharply, facing an elderly woman in a pink shawl. Her face is kind, weathered by age but no less beautiful. She smiles.

"Didn't mean ta scare you, dear." She reaches out a hand to shake, and you take it gently. "I'm Elvis's grandmother, Minnie Mae."

You return her smile

"It's lovely to meet you, ma'am."

She waves you off a little.

"You can call me Dodger, it's Elvis's old nickname for me." 

You nod, and she comes to stand beside you. She adjusts her glasses a little, taking in the picture you were just looking at.

"My grandson was never quite right when his mama died," She tells you. "Always lookin' to fill that hole, find someone to take care of just like he took care of her." Dodger shakes her head a little. 

"In my opinion, I think it's high time he found someone to take care a him." 

She side-eyes you a little.

"I've seen you in the papers," You're worried this conversation is about to turn sour, but the old woman only smiles. "and it looks like you've been causing quite a commotion in my grandson's life, Y/N." 

You flush, smiling sheepishly.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" You ask.

Dodger laughs, gentle hand on your shoulder.

"Child, I haven't seen Elvis this excited about anything in years. From what Vernon's told me, that boy would follow you to the ends of the Earth." 

You feel yourself blushing, face hot.

"I was afraid that wicked man, that Colonel," - she says the name with so much venom her lips curl crudely - "had sucked the life right outta my grandson, but then here comes this dancer, this pretty girl waltzin' into his life and saving him from that old bastard." 

Her sudden profanity makes you laugh a little in shock, and before you know it Dodger is laughing right along with you.

She gets real serious after a moment, turning fully to face you.

"I think Glady's sent you, girl. Elvis's mama knew her boy would need someone to take care of him, and placed you into his life right when he needed you most." 

You feel a little choked up, hand coming to cover your mouth. Dodger takes it into one of hers gently. 

"I've never met two people more meant for each other than you two."

A tear glides down your cheek. 

"I'm gonna protect him, Dodger, I promise." You say, feeling a sudden closeness to the old woman. She smiles at you softly.

"I know you will, Y/N." 

You both turn back to the portrait on the wall. Your eye's land on Gladys, tracing the lines and features of her face.

"I promise." You whisper.