three | big, scary dragon

It was hard to breathe

Her ears rang, and she was laying on something hard and uncomfortable. Her wings ached, and her chest felt empty.

She'd never felt so drained of life before. It was as if the buzzing under her skin had died out, the heavy thrumming of her heart now a simple, almost nonexistent beat. The magic in her was gone, nearly every drop of it. Weirdly enough, it made her joints ache, her sight blurry and her limbs heavy.

She could barely feel her wings.

"Astrid? Astrid can you hear me?"

A familiar voice asked, sounding far, far away.

"Uhm, sir, where did we get a dragon?"

The voices blended into an odd choir. She could swear they were swirling above her, incoherent and filled with hundreds of emotions.

"Her wings are shredded. Do you think Loki can fix her up? And can we remove Thanos from her mouth, it's unsettling."

Her head hurt, and the last time she had a headache like that was when she had stolen six barrels of rum of an unknown label. She had felt particularly gloomy and stealing the barrels to drown in her own sorrow had seemed a good idea at the time. She knew she should have stopped after the third barrel.

Her breathing was ragged and she felt someone pry her mouth open, she heard huffing and gentle fingers traced her sensitive wings.

She blinked her eyes open, startled by the blurry figure in red who was adamant on removing something from her mouth. She grunted and spat the foul tasting thing out, trying to get the dust off her tongue as she tried to get up, only to fall on her side and nearly crush the man in red. He yelped, fluidly moving out of her way before she had a chance of crushing a spider accidentally. Astrid generally liked all life forms, even spiders. So she would have felt pretty sad if she had accidentally fainted on him. 

"Calm, Ayida. Let us heal you." A strong accented female voice said sternly although she could detect an undertone of admiration. Were they talking to her? Astrid shook her head, clearing her vision as she detected a black woman standing near her but a safe distance away should she try and squash them again. She noticed she was surrounded by people, warriors in red and doctors who were hesitant to approach. The boy in red and blue was gawking at her, seemingly unaware that he was making her uncomfortable. 

"Wizard, where is the Wizard?" She asked the woman, obviously startling her when her voice rung in her ears. Astrid wanted to get away, she didn't like the people around her, their blatant stares and the smell of gunpowder, mud and death in the air. Around her, people were helping the survivors and detecting the bodies of the fallen.

"He is on his way. But please, do refrain from  moving too much, you're injured." The woman said again as Astrid finally pushed herself up. Her wings were drooped on her sides, something she would never do but she just felt so exhausted. The anxiety rolling in her stomach was the only thing that still kept her going. Only then did she notice the purple, muscular hand laying next to her on the ground. Noticing the golden gauntlet on it made her nearly want to vomit.