four | a snack

30 days

30 days

She usually didn't crawl down the cliff side so slowly. In fact, she barely crawled like a Komodo dragon at all. She caught herself stumbling a few times, gritting her teeth at the pain that shot through her after every step.

And yet the lake was still too far away.

Bucky walked down slowly, making sure to watch his step. The path to the river was steep and he wasn't particularly feeling like falling off a cliff side and breaking his neck.

He'd had enough of falling off cliffs for a lifetime.

He would occasionally glance towards the dragon who was obviously struggling with the task, and he wondered if perhaps she was feeling even worse than she looked.

"Want a break?" he asked carefully. They were still a good ways away from the lake but she looked minutes away from fainting. 

"Do you want to die?" she fired back, annoyance lacing her voice.

Astrid was hungry and in pain and unable to fly thanks to a ginormous purple alien whose magic had torn her wings. And the man showing remnants of concern for her made her want to throw up.

She was a dragon, she was perfectly capable of taking care of herself. Had been taking care of herself for a long time now.

Astrid just wanted to wash herself and curl up to sleep.

"Yes."

She looked over at him, not having expected that answer at all. She felt herself panic, what would she say? What could she say? The man they had decided to leave behind was totally okay with her eating him like a snack.

She nearly stumbled again as her wide eyes snapped on him, he completely ignored her gobsmacked look, deciding to focus on his footing instead. She huffed in annoyance as she realized he was trying to hide a smirk.

Stupid human. 

They walked the rest of the way in silence, Bucky still carefully looking at her to make sure that if she did happen to faint, she wouldn't roll over him and take him with her to the bottom of the cliff. Astrid could feel his gaze on her, it unnerved her slightly. She had to remind herself that she was the dragon between the two of them, she couldn't be afraid of a mere human man. Not that she was afraid, she was hesitant. She hadn't really thought everything through when she had made the deal with the wizard. 

Was she supposed to feed the man? Find him clothes? Oh gods above, what would happen if he froze due to the freezing temperatures? It would get rather cold around the fjords. She was sure the man had nothing but the weapons and clothes on his person. 

Her head was starting to hurt, but they had finally managed to make it near the narrow body of water. Astrid didn't wait for him to say anything as she dragged herself into the still waters, diving into the depts of the blue water only to come huffing towards the surface. The tiny droplets of water casted the colours of rainbows above her before fading away. She flinched as she stretched her wings on either side of herself, closing her eyes as she allowed herself to float in the blue, cold water.