23. "And If You Say Hide... We'll Hide."

Phoebe
Sutton Place, New York
March 20th

I am simply not paid enough to deal with the mess that is Freddie and Hayes, but no one cares when I complain, so I suppose I'll just jump right in.

One second they were hissing odds, the next moment they were 'dear friends'. Between you and me, there has been a snog or two - which only tended to happen when drunk- when they weren't sober enough to remember they were being tarts to each other. From what I could tell, they never brought it up the next day. I think they were both playing some sort of game with the other, and from the looks of things, they were both losing. I am sure that you thought I could shine some light on the situation, but even I am stupefied about the state of their relationship. The Duke and Duchess are a rather testy pairing as of late.

"What the hell man?"

"You need to make yourself scarce." I continued to nudge the man who was strewn across the sticky floor.

Freddie had decided to throw a little party last night, and of course I was left to deal with the aftermath. I started off as personal security, but somewhere along the line turned into Freddie Mercury's glorified babysitter and maid. Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way... well, maybe I could do without Paul Prenter being around. Getting the chance to admire Hayes Griffith was certainly a welcome bonus as of late.

The unknown man gathered himself up, and made for the door, along with several others who I had been trying to kick out all morning. Just as I was about to start tidying away the tumblers and glasses that were scattered about every article of furniture around the apartment, I caught sight of Hayes. He was languidly draped over a couch with a tan blazer thrown over his head.

Hayes was out most nights now, with his colleague Alex Moore, and a couple of his friends. Of course whenever him and Freddie ran into each other, they simply couldn't keep away and ended up joint at the hip for the rest of the night. Based on gossip from Alex Moore's personal assistant, Ricardo, I know that Hayes has been getting around a little with other men- a fact that when mentioned to Freddie had him in a thunderous mood for a full 72 hours. He still gets pissy at any reminders that Hayes has other men on the go. It's best to avoid him when it happens.

"Hayes?" I whispered and gently prodded his arm. I silently pleaded that he would be in a rare good mood. Unless you were Freddie, it wasn't guaranteed that Hayes would say more than five words to you.

"Mhm?" He groaned sleepily.

Weeks ago, that would have knocked the knees out from under me, but thankfully I have completely  come to manage my schoolgirl crush of Hayes Griffith.

"Are you working today?"

"I took the morning off," Hayes rasped out in a sleep heavy tone. "I am always ahead on my articles Peter, I don't even have to go in unless I want to."

Hayes plucked the jacket off of his face and sat up. Somehow, he managed to look fresh faced despite of his well deserved hang over. "Why did you never take days off before?"

Hayes rubbed at his chilling eyes, "I had nothing better to do before." He shrugged, "Now, I seem to have many options to choose from once deciding what to do with my time."

Just between us, I have heard through Hayes' personal shopper, Fraser, who heard it from Hayes' doorman, Jose, that Hayes certainly enjoyed spending time with some very attractive 'options' lately. A fact I may have relished letting slip to Freddie as payback for all the times he lorded him and Hayes' progressing relationship over me.

"Did you have fun last night?" I asked innocently. I started stockpiling stray cigarette butts in an effort to look like I didn't care about his answer.