24. Men On Fire

H.G
London, U.K
May, 3rd

Stag parties are the most godawful type of social gathering. Who created the tradition? Why? That's more to the point, why was the tradition ever invented? To make me uncomfortable? If so, they have succeeded.

Julian leant over toward me, "Are you going to pretend to enjoy yourself?"

"I don't see why I should have to." I murmured from the corner of my mouth.

The White Lion was a gentleman's club that was dripping in opulence and sophistication. Naturally, I believed that I would be safe from the usual uncouth activists of a stag party if it were to take place in such a venue. I always remembered Belgravia, Julian's home place, as an incredibly toffy area of London. His younger brother, Daniel, and his friends were certainly doing the area a great disservice at the moment.

"Griff!" Daniel practically fell on top of me.

I don't know how I received an invite to the wedding, never mind the stag party. Nor do I know how Julian manipulated me into accepting either offer. Freddie also decided that it would be hilarious for me to go and report back to him. I wanted to do the latter right now, because I was sick of the libertine activities.

"Yes?"

"Are you having a good time mate?" Daniel clapped me on the shoulder.

At a time I suppose we were friends, maybe I'll even admit that I viewed him as a younger brother. It was nice. I enjoyed having someone hold me in high regard, and Daniel once did. Of course, that ended when I fell out with Jules, mercifully it kicked once in again when I fell back in with him. Slowly but surely, I felt myself enjoy people's company again. Life was slowly filling my lungs once again, and I knew there was only one person to thank for that.

"A smashing time." I replied with an affable grin.

Julian snorted at my attempt at a genuinely exited tone. He knew that if one more scantily-clad woman was sent my way that I was about to lose it. I ended up acting as an armchair psychologist for two young ladies just so they would cease to push their chest in my face. Ada was a lovely girl who just loved getting easy money from rich twats. Cassie just loved the Cabaret and accidentally got caught up in this area of business on the way up. She was a fabulous dancer I'll give her that.

"Have you acquainted yourself with Steph yet?"

Julian snorted once again. "No! He hasn't, perhaps you should send her his way."

No.

Daniel laughed, his eyes glazed over with alcohol and wickedness, "She's a stunner, so control yourself Griff."

"I can only try." I forced a wry smile that made me feel like a prick; which meant I knew I appeared like a straight man.

Daniel laughed at that and slipped away once again. I turned to Julian and nudged his knee with my own, "Stop stirring."

"I'm not stirring anything." Julian chuckled and proceeded to lay his hand on my thigh.

I didn't think anything of it, but noticed he didn't retract his fingers for a good minute. Before I could make a comment, a girl sauntered over in nothing but sparkling lingerie. I didn't know where to look or what to do, so naturally I attempted to escape the situation. I peeled myself out of the cosy leather armchair that I had occupied all evening and made the lousy excuse of needing the lavatory.

When I stood up, I was shoved right back down. Oh good god.

"Where do you think you're going handsome?"