11

It's been an honor

Dove had a sleepless night, but she gotten enough. She knew she had to be strong and remembered her father's advice. Her father was going to be in attendance of this mission.

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each of you represents the best of the best. Which this mission only few can go, this was a difficult choice to make but this decision was solely based off of who would not only be able to handle the mission but to get the mission done." Maverick explained. Dove looked over at her father with her eyes, he smiled at her while she smiled back a bit then looked back ahead.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." The Admiral starts, nobody moving a muscle. "Payback and Fanboy, Phoenix and Bob." Maverick starts. Phoenix and Bob looked at each other in response. Payback and Fanboy continued to look forward. "And your two wingmen." Maverick looked at Rooster then at Dove. Merlin smiled but he was still in fear for her

"Rooster and Dove" Maverick replied. "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." Cyclone said. 

......

They decided time to target would be two minutes and thirty seconds, she was a little relieved but still worried. Dove was walking to her plane, she saw Hangman, she was expecting the snarky comment coming but instead he puts a hand on her shoulder. "Give em' hell, Dovie!" He tells her. She notices a hint of worry in his voice, she shook her head. "When are you going to stop calling me that but You know I will!" She exclaimed. She ran into Coyote, he pulled her into a hug. 

"You come home safe buddy." He said to her. "I will, just make sure my father doesn't lose his mind." She asked of him. He nodded. "Of course." Coyote said.

She sighed as she then approached Rooster. She noticed her best friend was worried. "Hey.... we got this buddy, your dad would be so proud of you." Dove assured him. He looked at her and smiled. "Thanks." He said to her. Then he pulled her into a hug. "Please come home safe, I can't lose my best friend." He said and she nodded. "You too." Dove said as she pulled away. She saw Bob. "Talk to your lover boy." He said. Before she could protest, Rooster had already walked off to talk to Maverick.

She approached him. Bob looked at her and slightly smile. She smiled back at him. "This is it." Dove said. "It is." Bob said. They looked at each other. "I have something to tell you when we get back." Bob said. "Me too.... stay safe." Dove said. He smiled and pulled her into a hug. "You too." He said.

.....

"Dagger 1, Up and Ready." Maverick announced.

"Dagger Spare, standing by." Hangman added.

"Dagger 5, up and ready." Dove called out.

"Dagger 4, up and ready."

"Dagger 3, up and ready."

"Dagger 2, up and ready." Rooster declared.

.....

Dove was trailing behind Maverick with Phoenix and Bob behind her. Rooster, Payback and Fanboy wasn't too far behind them, that was their set order, not letting things change. Dove took a breathe then she thought back to what her father told her the night before. "Dove we got this." Maverick said to her.

"Alright here we go, remember stay low and don't alert these missiles but be quick and on time. Dove are you ready?" Maverick asked. "Ready, locked and loaded, Rooster?" Dove answer. "Ready." Rooster said but not sounding very confident which worried the woman.

Nerves was getting the best of Rooster as he never caught up with everyone. Him, Payback and Fanboy very behind schedule. "Rooster, we're one minute behind schedule, we gotta haul ass!" Payback yells into the radio but it doesn't get him to snap out of it. Rooster stays at a steady speed concerning everyone up front. "Come on Rooster." Maverick tries but there isn't no response. By that time, Maverick, Phoenix, Bob and Dove were coming up on target.

"Target acquired!" Phoenix yells. "I'm locked in!" Dove replies getting ready. "Firing in 3, 2 ,1!" With that, Dove accurately drops her bomb into the small opening, sending it into pieces. "Oh my goodness." Dove muttered loudly. "Great work Dove, Rooster?" Maverick said still not getting a response from him. Dove heard him mentioning his dad which caused her heart to drop.

"Rooster, Best friend, Listen I adore you and I am thankful for you as my best friend.... but YOU NEED TO MOVE YOUR ASS!" Dove exclaimed loudly which caused him to snapped out of it and move it up quickly. "Rooster, Status?" Maverick asked. "Almost there Mav, almost there. Fanboy where's my laser?" Rooster replied. Fanboy then began to panic. "Rooster there's something wrong with this laser. Deadeye, Deadeye!" Fanboy yelled out.

"Shit!" Dove exclaimed. 

The three of them flew up and over the mountain. "There's no time, I'm dropping." Rooster stated. Dove knew something had to be done but she had faith in Rooster. Fanboy and Payback protested but Rooster stated. "There's no time, bombs away." which he hit the target perfectly.

Rooster, Payback and Fanboy made their climb successfully and caught up with everyone else. but still didn't doesn't mean they were out of the woods just yet. Dove took a moment but that shortly ended when she looked over spotted a black plane tailing her which alarmed her. "Guys! We got bandits on our asses!" She yells out getting everyone's attention.

"Get ready!" Maverick yelled, noticing another one that trailed him, after a moment, the bandits cut in between the two of them, scaring everyone. "Shit, shit, shit! I don't think so!" Dove yells as she saw one of the bandits trying to cut Rooster off. As they try to fire at him, she pulls upwards, right above the plane, shooting their upcoming missile to bits, the bandit tries the same maneuver with her but misses as she breaks right quickly and the missile hits the mountain.

Dove panics as the bandit that Maverick was trying to shake notices her. They switch their agenda and things take a turn, when one of them managed to hit her plane. "No no no." Dove muttered as she was trying her hardest to get control of her plane but wasn't successful, she knew she was going down. "DOVE!" Bob shouted. She was going down. "Shit!" Phoenix yelled. Rooster panics but trying to go after her, The bandits began to trail him but he didn't care as Maverick, Phoenix and Payback did their best to fend them off.

........

Dove's scream echoed, caused Merlin's heart to shatter and scare everyone.

"Dove! Shit!" Rooster yelled out. Phoenix had managed to shoot one of the bandits off but one was still trailing Maverick. Phoenix heart had shattered. "I didn't see a parachute!" Payback yells as his voice cracked. "I'm going after her!" Rooster ordered but only to be stopped. "Dagger you are not to engage. repeat you are not to engage." Cyclone ordered. Merlin shook his head. "Wait, my dove is out there." Merlin said to Cyclone. "We are going to get her back." Warlock assuring Merlin.

Then Maverick's plane went down.

Hangman sat in the cockpit like he had just seen a ghost. Dove's scream had frighten everyone, first time ever they heard fear in this woman. "Permission to assist?" He asked. "Negative, we'll send a search and rescue." Cyclone replied. "Damn it." Hangman said.

.......

Bob hopped out of his and Phoenix's plane. Rooster went back for Dove and Maverick. Phoenix went up to him. "Hey hey hey.... She's gotta be fine, no matter what she will come home." Phoenix said as she assures him. "I hope so... I haven't told her I love her." Bob said which caused Phoenix's heart to flutter for her best friend.