12

She had sat a while, fiddling with her phone. Her stomach grumbled, reminding her that she needed dinner. So, ignoring the pains that shot on her leg, she limped out of the room, grateful that the room was downstairs. As she neared the living room, she could hear Yomi talking to someone. She followed his voice to find him at the door, collecting some bags from a delivery guy. He closed the door, and raised the bags to his face to inspect them, not noticing Dinma. And when he had brought down the bags, he saw her in front of him.

“How did you get here?” The shock was evident on his face.

Dinma shrugged and replied in a duh tone, “I walked.”

He dropped the bags he had on a  side table and in quick short strides he approached her, lifted her swiftly off her feet, knocking breath out of her, she threw her arm impulsively around his neck. Again the proximity did her senses no good as his musk scent hit her nostrils. He walked with ease to the dining room and placed her carefully on a seat. Then he rubbed his temple in a frustration.

“When Temi told me you were stubborn, I didn't think you were that stubborn .” He let out a breathe, then drew out a chair and sat beside her. “You are one stubborn female.”

“I'll take that as a compliment. Wait! You talk about me with Temi?”

He gave an offhand shrug. “Hungry?”

“Very.”

He chuckled, and leaped from the chair to retrieve the bags in the living room. He was back in less than a minute, offloading the plates from the bags on the table.
Dinma grabbed a plate, and opened it, inhaling deeply the smell that wafted out of the meal.

“Plantain porridge.” She said.

“That was the only food available, hope you like it.” He sat, and pulled a plate towards himself.

“I love... I can't remember the last time I had plantain porridge.” She scooped a spoonful and chewed. “Mmm...This is nice, but it can't beat my mum's.”

“Can you cook it?”

“Of course. Probably I'll cook it for you one day.” She said with a smile. “Can you even cook?”

He chewed and swallowed, and gave a small laugh. “Yes. My mum made sure my sisters and I learnt.”

“I don't believe you can cook.”

“You’re doubting my skills. Just wait until I make noodles.”

She chuckled, “I should have known. The only thing you're good at is noodles.”

“My noodles is a banger.”

“That's what my little cousin would say.” She ate another spoonful, “It must be nice to have a sibling.”

“I have two of them, and they are so annoying.”

“That's why they are family. They annoy you, you also have your good days too.”

“Yeah.” He replied offhandedly.

And they spent the rest of the night talking about many other things; her university days, his secondary school crush and the likes, while they ate, and after they were done, Yomi ensured she took her meds. At past twelve, after Dinma had let out three consecutive yawns, Yomi suggested that they went to sleep.
And so, rather than carry her like he had done the previous times, he assisted her with an arm around her waist much to her disappointment, while she hung hers on his neck, to her room.

As quickly as she got into the bed, sleep eluded her.

                          ¶ ¶¶
She was awoken by the sound of a rattling doorknob at a distance. She flickered her eyelids open, and looked around to take in her surrounding. Remembering where she was, she dragged herself up to sit aware of the dull ache in her leg. She looked up at the clock that hung above the door, it was 7:15am.