16

It had been a week since the kiss, and Yomi was advertently avoiding her. She knew this in her bones.
If the awkwardness in the drives to school wasn't enough reason, then the fact that they almost never met at home was indeed. And the few times they did meet, he desperately tried to avoid her gazes.

Dinma was growing wary, the fact that she enjoyed every bit of that kiss, made his rejection sting. And she saw herself wondering why she let herself fall from his charms. He was the one who had initiated the kiss in the first place.

The situation at school wasn't helping either. The kids were crankier and so was she. And so when her phone rang during the kids' lunch time, a quick glance at the phone telling her it was Temi, she realized that that was what she needed. A distraction.

“Hun.” Her friend's bubbly voice came through, instantly making her nostalgic.

“Tems.” She breathed.

“Are you okay?”

“Just stressed.” Dinma pressed the bridge of her nose and let out a sigh in exhaustion.

There were some rustling of papers on the other end, and she wondered if her friend was working, something Temi was not very good at.

“Do you ever read your WhatsApp messages?” The rustling had stopped.

“No.” Dinma replied, wondering where the conversation was headed. “You know I'm not good with social media.”

“You sound like an old woman, my step mom is even on Instagram–”

Dinma cut her, “What does that got to do with me?”
She knew one thing, her friend was very verbose with words, she never got to a point until she was done coating it. This was one characteristic she had always admired in her friend, she was glib and had her way with words. But not this time, she wanted Temi out with whatever she had to say, as quickly as possible.

“Yeah, so Omolara's decided to  host LAWSAN's  reunion for our set.” There was an excitement in her voice.

“It's not up to ten years since we graduated.”

Well since she was a Law student of the prestigious University of Lagos, she was an avid member of the LAWSAN, the Law Students Association of Nigeria. And just like the rest of her colleagues at school, she and Temi went to Law school upon graduation from the University, and the only difference between her and her colleagues, was that while some of them practiced law, she was a nursery school teacher.

Reunions, she had learned, were mostly about people showing off their achievements, and wanting to know that of their neighbors'. It was no different for her, she would love to know how far her colleagues had achieved. But it was only bad enough that Omolara was hosting the reunion. She would rub it on the faces of those who cared, that she was a mom, married to a white billionaire, and was a successful elite blogger.

Dinma wouldn't say she had not achieved anything, at least she was a millionaire, that is if she were to get married, she enjoyed her job and was doing great at it, at least that was what the proprietor had said. But it could not be in comparison to Omolara, the young girl she had always spited.

“It doesn't matter.” Temi was speaking, “It's been eight years, that's enough for a reunion.”

“Why is Omolara hosting?”
Dinma had always despised the young lady, and it was not unknown to Temi who had always seen their fights as petty. Omolara competed with everything Dinma did, from the guys that sought her attention, to school work.

“She has the money to. And please don't tell me you're still beefing her. We are going to have so much fun. It's a paid weekend getaway.”

Wow.