13

The rest of the morning had gone in a blur, his mum had left not before making sure that Dinma had eaten and had taken her drugs, Yomi had dropped off Zara at school, and was back in his room, working. He had noticed that Dinma was seated idly in the living room, scrolling through TV channels, probably bored out of her mind, but there was nothing he could do. He didn't know if she would want him beside her, but given what had happened the previous night, them talking about so many things,  he was sure she wouldn't mind having him with her.

These things confuse him.

He slammed shut his laptop, and stretched out his muscles. He was going downstairs.

The door bell rang piquing up his interest, making him wonder if his mum was back again, but it couldn't be her, she would never ring the doorbell. He hoped Dinma was still seated, given her unusual curiosity she was bound to stand and see who it was. The bell rang again, which meant she was still seated, and subconsciously a smile crept to his face. She had obeyed him.

He reached for his T-shirt he had taken off while he worked, and wore it over his head. And he made his way down the stairs to the door.

He saw her seated on the couch, and he could read every curious expression her face held.
She offered him a small smile to which he responded to with a nod as he walked past her to the door. He peeped through the door hole, and as expected, it was Temi. He pulled the door open, and stepped aside for the lady who didn't seem to notice him. Temi breezed in as though she owned the place, and a quick glance at her friend on the couch, she raced to Dinma.

“Babe..” Temi scanned her face, with a hand on Dinma's jaw, “Are you okay?”

Yomi rolled his eyes, and proceeded to close the door.

Dinma brushed her face off her friend's hand with a chuckle, “I'm fine.”

“Have you eaten? Have you taken your drugs?”

Dinma nodded. Of course she had, his mum had made sure of that. He needed to leave the ladies to themselves.

He cleared his throat, “I'll be in my room if you need anything.”

Dinma gave him a shy smile that seemed to make his heart stop. How was a smile that potent to make him weak?

“We'll be fine, thank you.” Temi said. He blinked, realizing that he had been staring too long at Dinma.

“Okay.” He said as he tore his gaze slowly from her. “If you need anything— I'm just going to leave.” He pointed upstairs.

She giggled and he swore that was his favorite sound, well second to his daughter's chuckle.

                         †††

They were silent until they heard the door to his room close, then Temi turned to her.

“He so likes you.”

“What? That's ridiculous.”

“I mean it, didn't you see how he was staring?” Temi beamed.

Dinma rolled her eyes, “Tems you read too much meaning to everything.”

“I do not” Temi said with a frown.

“You just did, also the other day when you thought your stepsister was trying to poison you because she gave you a drink, and other times I don't remember.”

“She never gives me anything.”

Dinma cocked a brow “It was her birthday party, and it was a sealed can drink.”

“Still, it doesn't mean I should be careless, and this is not about me reading meaning into every thing. It's facts, he likes you, I mean isn't it great, given that you like him.”

“Funniest thing I've heard today. And besides, he told me I'm not his type.”

“You're not even laughing, Aki hausa. And what does he mean by type, abi na Type C?

Dinma burst into fits of laughter, and when she was calm, she said. “I don't even like him.”

“We both know you're lying.”

Dinma groaned, and ran a palm over her face. “Yes you're right, I'm lying.”

Temi shrugged,“I know.” Then she leaned back into the couch with a cheshire smile, “So tell me, how does it feel living with the hot Yomi Johnson?”

“Now you're exaggerating.”

“In what? His hotness,or the fact you're living with him.”

“All. I'm not living with him, I'm only staying here until the house gets fixed or the men are caught” Dinma replied, and felt her face warm up.

Temi let out a dramatic gasp, “Are you saying that you, Dinma Jacob is not in the slightest attracted to him?”

“Pssh... No, I mean I'm not saying that. God! He is hot.”

“Yeah I know.” Temi nodded with a grin.

“No you don't, I mean he's very hot.”

Temi sat up, “Did you sleep with him? Oh my God! You've slept with him! No wonder the long stares!” She yelled, and Dinma had to slap a hand over her mouth to prevent more yells.

“Can you be quiet?” She whispered and looked over her shoulders to be sure Yomi heard nothing, “And no, I didn't sleep with him.” She withdrew her hand from her friend's mouth.

“So what happened?” Temi wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

“Nothing. I just happened to see him after his workouts.”

Temi hummed in delight, “That must have been a sight.”

She felt her face flame up in embarrassment, and she cleared her throat, “You have a boyfriend Tems, you shouldn't be thinking other men are hot.”

“I'm not thinking it, I'm seeing it.” Temi wiggled her brows. “You know he's a catch, just admit it.”

Yeah, admit it Dinma. His hairline, his face, his not bulky muscles–

“We shouldn't be talking about him. How's the house? Has the police called?” She asked, starring away from the topic.

It was a good diversion, because it got Temi talking about how Nigerian police were not to be trusted, and how she strongly suspected the landlady.

After a while, they both fell silent, each in her own thoughts. Dinma wondered if the police were ever going to find those men, and the person who had sent them, again she wondered who was badly in need of the box, was it a cousin? Or the landlady as Temi had said?

“Dee, where's the box?” She was probably thinking the same thing as Dinma. “You know if it's in this house, it's not safe.”

Dinma shook her head, “It's not here. Honestly I don't even know where it is.”

Temi's eyes widened, “What do you mean?”

Dinma shrugged offhandedly, “I mean I don't have it, look it's not important.” She smacked her lips, “I'm only becoming curious about the contents of that box.”

“Me too.” Temi grabbed her friend's hand “Promise me that whenever you get a chance to go through the box, you'll call me.”

“Of course.”

“So are you going to tell your dad about this?”

“What! God no! Tems you can't tell my parents— promise me.”

“They need to know.”

“Temi! Please. I don't want them to worry.”

Temi let out a sigh, “Fine.”

“I'm suddenly craving bread and suya, you're buying.” Dinma said with a chuckle.