3 - The Bigfoot Museum

Day two

Eddie's POV:

The second morning of the trip, I woke up before y/n, yawning and turning my head to look at her. She was sleeping so peacefully next to me, and I smiled to myself. Every day I wondered how I'd gotten so lucky to have somebody like her love somebody like me.

I sat up on my elbows carefully, trying my best to not wake her, and the gentle glow of sunlight through the curtains drew my attention so I slowly got out of the bed and went to check it out. I shifted the edge of the curtain to the side slightly to get a look out, and I was almost taken aback. It looked beautiful out there. A glance down at my watch told me that it wasn't actually that early, and so I decided that I had to wake her up.

I moved back towards the bed and leaned over her, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek with my hand lightly resting on the back of her head.

"Good morning baby," I whispered against her ear, and a smile crept across her face before her eyes had even opened. When they did, she looked straight at me and put both arms around my neck to hold my against her. With a surprised laugh, I put my own arms around her back and lifted her up so that I was stood up, end her legs wrapped around me too. I couldn't help but laugh at how she had basically glued herself to me.

"You said you heard running water last night when the window was open, right? We must be really close to Cumberland River. What do you say we find somewhere to go for a swim?" I suggested, and she dropped herself out of my arms to look up at me.

I loved her so much like this. Her hair was wild and messy; she was fresh-faced and looking at me through her eyelashes with sleepy loving eyes. As usual, she'd stolen one of my T-shirts to sleep in, and I secretly adored how much better they looked on her than me, way too big and reaching the middle of her thighs.

It hurt me that she didn't realise just how beautiful she truly was. That's why I reminded her every single day. I loved every version of her, but there was something about her effortless beauty first thing in the morning that made my heart flutter every single time. Waking up next to her was still something I couldn't comprehend, and for a second every morning I had to take it in all over again, because it felt like a dream. How could she be real?

There were so many things I wanted to say to her all the time, but I didn't want to sound like a dork. I didn't know I could feel so strongly for somebody.

"When we decided to go on a road trip, I thought it'd take a little longer than two days before we were bathing in a river, but..." she shrugged and gave me a little smile and I placed my palm on her cheek. With a sigh she put her hand on top of mine for a moment, before spinning around to search through her clothes.

My eyes widened when she pulled out a two piece bathing suit and tossed it onto the bed before pulling the T-shirt over her head to get changed.

"What?" She laughed at me, noticing that I was watching her, "I bought it a couple of weeks ago for the trip. There's nobody to tell me I can't wear things anymore."

"It's great," I nodded, standing still on the spot, and she shook her head at me and chuckled again.

"Have you got trunks with you?" When she asked that, I snapped out of my trance and went to look for them.

I put them on and then threw on a T-shirt as well, and y/n chose a summer dress. Then she grabbed a towel, a bag that had all of our toiletries in, the camera she brought everywhere with us, and stepped into her shoes. Just as we were about to leave the van, she grabbed hold of my arm.

"Hold out your hands," she ordered, and I did so despite my confusion.

One by one she took off all of my rings, including the promise ring, and then took off her own and placed them on the side, "we are not losing any of these in a river," she explained. It made a whole lot of sense.