19 - I Know You Missed Me

Day Thirty-Five

Y/n's POV:

"So does everybody know about this?" I asked, still unable to take my eyes off the ring. Eddie and I were on the sofa, a blanket draped over us as I leaned against him. In front of us, the fireplace was lit, and the dancing flames were almost entrancing.

"No, no. Not everybody. I did have to speak to Wayne to check he was okay with me using my grandma's ring," he replied, and I turned to look at him.

"So he didn't tell you that it was crazy to propose to someone so quickly?" I wiggled my eyebrows, and he chuckled.

"Trust me, I've done a lot crazier things. At least this is good-crazy and not... prison-time crazy... or pissing-off-the-wrong-person, brick-through-the-window crazy..." he shrugged, and I knitted my eyebrows.

"Are these hypotheticals or...?"

"Of course," he replied, but he smiled in a way that let me know he was blatantly lying.

"You're gonna have to tell me all of these stories one day Eddie," I said, "preferably before I marry you." I gave a teasing smile.

"I'll think about it," he compromised and I rolled my eyes at him, "but about what you were saying: no, Wayne didn't say it was crazy. I think he's happy about the idea of me sealing the deal. You know he loves you."

"So are you gonna tell him that I said yes, or are you gonna wait until we're home?"

"It'll be more fun to wait I think," he gave a mischievous grin.

"When did you tell Dustin?" I shifted to get more comfortable, leaning the back of my head against his chest. Eddie wrapped his arms tightly around me.

"A few weeks ago. I called him and asked him because he warned me that I needed to."

"What was his reaction?"

"He was completely shocked about how fast it was, but he sounded excited. Then of course I asked your grandpa because... well I thought extra permission wouldn't hurt," he explained, and I smiled to myself at the thought of how those conversations went.

"And you don't think Dustin told anyone?" I didn't have a lot of confidence in his ability to keep something like this secret for long.

"I made him promise not to. I thought it'd be a fun surprise for us to spring on everyone when we got back to Hawkins. Plus, the one Dustin would probably tell is Steve, and he'd tell Robin, and Robin..."

"She'd let it slip to me," I finished the sentence for him. He had a very good point.

"Exactly," he agreed, "honestly I'm surprised he's kept it secret. But he told me yesterday that he hadn't told anyone at all. Insisted. He's not a very good liar, so..." his voice trailed off.

"I'm so excited to see all of their reactions," I admitted, "maybe a little nervous."

"Me too. I think we should organise something. We should have some sort of normal party and then turn it into our own engagement party," he suggested, and I laughed.

"I never thought I'd hear you suggesting a party, Eddie Munson," I teased, and he clearly found it funny.

"Yeah, well I've changed a lot recently," was his quiet response.

"I think both of us have. I never used to think of myself as a party person. Now the idea of one excites me... as long as it's with our friends."

"Or Mötley Crüe," Eddie corrected me.