16 - Sunset

Day twenty-seven

Y/n's POV:

We stayed in Los Angeles for a few days, just like I'd expected us to. The time was filled mostly with a constant cycle of partying too hard and then regretting it when we woke up in a strange place every morning, but it was still kinda the time of our life. The way that Eddie acted solidified that I wouldn't have to worry about him with other girls if I wasn't with him. Plus, Dax seemed to be relatively uninterested himself, so they seemed like they'd be a perfect combination for a more morally acceptable band than all the others in this city when the time came.

I absolutely loved every second of being in that crazy place, but eventually we knew that we'd have to carry on with our journey. Despite the free stuff we were getting, the place was proving a little too expensive, and we didn't want to run out of cash while on the other side of the country.

On the morning of the 18th of June, we decided that we were going to leave after having some lunch. We went back to meet Dax at the diner, since he said he would be working, but he wasn't there when we arrived. A friendly server told us that he was out the back having a smoke break, so we walked through to find him.

"Wassup man!" Eddie called over to him in the alley, and Dax spun around and waved at us.

"Hey guys," he smiled at us as we got closer.

"Just came for a bite to eat. Decided it's time to move on before we get any major injuries," Eddie said, and Dax chuckled.

"Yeah. Probably for the-" he stopped in the middle of his sentence and snapped his head back down the other end of the alley. There was a noise.

"What was that?" I asked, and Eddie and I exchanged a look.

"I heard that same thing a minute ago. Thought I imagined it. I have no idea," Dax shrugged with his brows furrowed. Eddie instantly walked off to investigate the strange sounds. There was shuffling, and something else... almost like a quiet cry. I followed him. When we reached a dumpster, we heard it again next to us.

"You don't think it's rats do you?" I checked, crossing my arms over my chest and stepping backwards.

"It's possible," Dax admitted as he slowly strolled over as well.

"I don't think so..." Eddie disagreed quietly and got closer to the dumpster, leaning his head over to have a look inside it. I saw his eyes suddenly widen and he reached his arms inside.

"Eddie, what are you doing? Don't put your hands in there!" I warned him, but he ignored me. I let out a loud gasp when I saw what he pulled out of there: it was a puppy.

"Oh shit!" Dax exclaimed from behind me.

"A puppy? Somebody put a puppy in a dumpster?" I couldn't believe my eyes as Eddie held up the small golden retriever and examined it to see if it was alright. It cried a little but seemed to calm down a little when he cradled it against his chest. We were staring at each other in shock.

"It was in a cardboard box. There's, uh, there's something else in there," Eddie pointed at the dumpster and Dax went over to check. I stepped closer to my boyfriend and carefully stroked the puppy. It was very calm now and didn't really seem scared of us at all.

"It's a note," Dax said as he brought it out to read, "oh shit."

"What?" I turned my head towards him.

"It says 'please look after her. I can't.'"

"But it was in a dumpster! If you wanted someone to find her then you wouldn't put her in here. What if a garbage truck came?" I couldn't believe what had actually happened. Eddie was smiling and whispering to the puppy in the most adorable way, treating it like a baby.