20 - The 'Shitty' Engagement Party

Y/n's POV:

We got to Hopper's cabin before everybody else did, parking the van out of the way where nobody was going to see it. Of course, this meant that we were going to see him, El and the Byers family before everybody else, and their greeting was sweet.

Although I hadn't known them for as long as some of my other friends, I'd loved getting to know them before we left for the summer. Younger teenagers can definitely be annoying at times when you are a few years older, but I'd been surprised to find that this group was just as much fun as they were irritating.

And they were both very interesting, these two. El was such a fascinating person with her unique view of the world, and the quirkiness of her character was actually not as much to do with her special abilities as I would've originally guessed. She was just a genuinely nice, slightly unconventional girl who was a breath of fresh air just because of how different she was.

And Will was also a personality as well. He did tend to be quieter than some of the other kids, but once you managed to dig beneath that, he had a lot of things to say. He'd been through a lot over the past few years, and it seemed to make him hide within himself, but he was coming back out of his shell over time. Eddie took a shining to him quickly, because I think that the shy, kind of lonely little kid who loved D&D reminded him of himself.

They were happy to see us, and so was Joyce. As much as Hopper was a lot more friendly towards me than he was towards Eddie, I noticed him produce the slightest smile as he walked over to the kitchen to get something after speaking to my fiancé. I think that their history - which was still a bit of a vague unknown for me - had tainted his view of Eddie, but over time it was changing.

Hopper felt a little like Wayne in the way that he had this paternal aura about him when it came to any of us teens, though he definitely fit the mould of a slightly overprotective father much more. He clearly wasn't satisfied with directing all of that towards El, so he was bound to have something to say about the engagement. But we weren't going to tell anyone until everybody was here. For now, my ring was kept safely in my bag that I had hung up next to the front door.

We were only there for around ten minutes before another car pulled up outside of the cabin, and I went over to the window and discreetly looked out. It was Steve's car, and I could only see him and Robin inside. I glanced back at Eddie and smiled, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

"Who is it?" Max asked. She was sat on the couch with El.

"Batman and Robin," Eddie replied even though he hadn't even seen out the window. He could just tell from my expression.

"Batman? Yeah, okay," Hopper scoffed from the kitchen, clearly finding it funny.

I spotted Robin say something to Steve and get out of the car. He was still in there, checking the backseat for something, as she came to the door alone and knocked. El got up and went over to open it, and I stood to the side slightly so I wouldn't be spotted before she came inside completely. As she turned to the right into the main living area, she saw the both of us and stopped dead in her tracks. After a second of staring with her mouth hung open, she ran over and nearly knocked me over with her hug.

"Yes yes yes!" She squealed excitedly, and I saw Hopper grimace at the sound. I was counting down the seconds before he kicked us all out and told us to go to the outside hangout area they'd created just a little way down a trail into the woods behind the cabin.

"Miss me?" I laughed, and she pulled away suddenly, looking at me with a hilarious expression before grabbing my cheeks and kissing my forehead in a dramatic display. That just made me laugh more.