10 - Of Course It's Worth It

Day thirteen

Y/n POV:

I didn't quite anticipate how hilariously stressful it was going to be to not only bake with Eddie in the afternoon, but also make dinner with him in the evening. The standards were slightly higher, since I was making food for Lia and Carrie, and not Wayne and Eddie. At home I often chose to throw together some basic recipe and toss it on a plate, because they were both extremely easy to please considering they normally survived off of TV dinners.

He wasn't that much help with the actually cooking part, but I did manage to get him to cut up some ingredients and stir a pot, which was progress.

In the end all went pretty well, and when my sister returned home we spent the evening catching up more over some drinks. Over time I relaxed a bit, and even though the entire situation was still absolutely insane to me, I did allow myself to have some fun. We stayed up until quite late before heading to bed.

The next morning, I woke up before Eddie and decided not to wake him too. I went downstairs to see that Lia was already awake too, and was at her coffee machine in the kitchen.

"Hey," I gave a little wave as I wandered over to her, and she turned and smiled.

"Coffee?" She asked, gesturing at the machine, and I nodded.

"Yes please."

"So where is this road trip taking you next?" Lia poured the coffee into two mugs and handed me one of them. I took it and leaned on the counter.

"We were heading towards New Orleans before we came up here to look for Carrie. I guess that's the next stop," I shrugged, taking a sip of my drink.

"Jazz bar in the French Quarter? Bourbon on Bourbon Street?" Lia suggested, and I chuckled and nodded.

"You've already seen more of the country than me. It's crazy," she exhaled and looked out of the window into the backyard.

"You still can go and see it," I pointed out, but my sister shook her head and looked at me.

"We've got work a lot of the year, and erm... Carrie has a cousin who's a hot mess: addict, petty criminal. We, uh, it's looking like somebody is gonna have to take her kid. Carrie's probably gonna get her, so by default so do I..." she explained.

"A kid?" My eyes widened.

"Yeah. Three years old. She's a sweet little thing. I think having her in the picture might complicate our roommate story since it's a two bedroom house, but... we have to take her, so..." I couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth.

"So you're gonna, like, have a child basically?" My mouth hung open in shock and she laughed.

"Yeah, basically. What's Hawkins like with the judgemental people? You think we could move there and be left alone?" She sounded like she was being serious in asking me this.

"Erm... I'm sure you'd get a lot of people being kinda weird about it, but with Eddie there I don't think they'd pay that much attention," I joked, and she knitted her brows.

"Eddie? Why?"

"Oh he's like known as the local satanic cult leader. For the record, he's not one, but... there was this whole crazy situation a few months back. The town blamed him for a couple of murders until they couldn't anymore because it was proved he definitely didn't do them. A lot of folks still don't speak to him though," I explained it like it wasn't gonna be the wildest thing she had ever heard.

"Murders?" Lia couldn't seem to believe her ears.

"Yep. It was insane."

"Because he dresses differently?"