I: ...in the blue of my oblivion

Act One,  I:

Act One, I: ...in the blue of my oblivion

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

The horizon explodes out in yellows and oranges as if the glittering waves of the Atlantic ocean stretched out beneath it are lit aflame. Moe slants her sunglasses up the bridge of her nose to hide from it and watches the wake of boats travelling across the rolling sea. The pier sways gently beneath her feet as she listens out for the familiar knock of shoes against the wooden planks.

She turns around to see Malachi approaching her, waving a cotton candy pink ferry ticket in his hand.

"Today was nice." He says, squinting at Moe in the sunset. His mouth is curled into a strained smile and she can't tell if it's from the glare of the sun or something else entirely, "It was good to see you."

She bites down on the urge to remind him that the today that was apparently so nice was only three hours total. But she doesn't want to sound ungrateful that he came over from the mainland in the first place so she keeps her mouth shut.

  She bites the inside of her cheek, "Yeah I'm glad you could get the day off."

Malachi shifts awkwardly. Glancing openly down the pier at the waiting ferry. He'd been in such a rush to get here in time and even though Moe had reminded him that there was a 4 o'clock ferry on weekdays he still seemed adamant to make the 2 o'clock one. Her face slips into a frown and something churns in her stomach. She wishes he would at least pretend he wanted to stay longer.

  "Me too." Mac finally says.

For a moment Moe thinks thats it. She holds onto the fleeting hope that they'll be able to say goodbye and she won't have to feel like her sanity is being chipped away at. But as she leans in for a hug she can feel the words hanging on his lips.

Mac rubs a hand soothingly up and down her back like he's trying to soften the blow before delivering it, "I don't think I'll be back again until summer is over."