VIII: there was a line here once

Act One,  VIII: there was a line here once

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

The morning starts on Moe's back porch.

She shoves through the screen door knee first and slides their haphazardly made breakfast unceremoniously onto the table. A bowl of cereal with lukewarm long-life milk for JJ and a plate of overripe fruit for Moe— it's the best she can muster up with a still useless fridge and barely any groceries. Hurricane Agatha is still kicking their pogue asses while the Kooks power up their generators all across Kildare.

The chair scrapes loudly against the deck as Moe shoves into her seat. Across from her JJ accepts the bowl of cereal gratefully and starts to shovel it unceremoniously into his mouth. With mild disgust she watches a soggy cornflake fall from his spoon and splash back into the bowl, sending milk splattering onto the table. She spears a mushy piece of mango with her fork and eyes it reproachfully.

Her stomach gurgles hungrily in response. So she slides it into her mouth and swallows quickly— following suit with the rest of the plate's contents.

Even though it's only just now nine-thirty in the morning, the air is already sticky with heat on her skin. She'd predicted as much when she stirred from a dream earlier and had to peel a sweaty JJ off her. In a further testament to the temperature, the quilt had been shoved to the end of the bed in their sleep.

When her fruit is finished she reaches her arms back to adjust her claw clip; twisting her hair up off her bare shoulders in a practiced move. Her hair is starting to frizz and stick to the back of her neck constantly in the heat. Braiding it just makes it dirtier sometimes, cutting it never goes well and Moe is prone to losing hair ties. Claw clips had been the solution. It certainly helps that Lo left a ton of them laying around the house when she moved to New York.

Moe puts her hands back on the table and takes her eyes off the rippling horizon. As she turns her head she catches JJ tearing his eyes off her. His spoon clatters into the now empty bowl and for some reason, he suddenly finds the neighbour's fence behind her head incredibly interesting. She glances behind her.