XIII: one day on a whim

Act One,  XIII: one day on a whim

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

The Steinman's café— The Seafarer— is nestled in a idyllic little corner on the Figure Eight side of town. It's all whitewashed driftwood and Kook paraphernalia hanging on the walls; and it's always packed with the Figure Eight rich, and they're always dressed impeccably.

Needless to say, Moe with her tattered converse, frayed shorts and Kildare Island Pelican Marina shirt— sticks out like a sore thumb. Amy and her husband, Frank have always been kind to her but the Kooks all eye her like she's a disaster just waiting to happen. Maybe she is.

Her keyring clatters around where it's clenched in her fist as she walks past full tables to the counter. Mac's mom leans out from behind the big coffee machine to pass something to the server and spots her. She smiles her big sunshine smile and Moe waves awkwardly back.

  "Moe, hi!" Amy greets, enthusiastically as ever.

"Hey," Moe replies, forcing a smile, "How are you?"

"We're doing great sweetheart. Busy as ever." She moves to lean across the counter, "How are you? How's your Mom?"

"I'm okay," Moe answers, trying not to sound to flat— though its always difficult in comparison to Amy— "Mom is- uh- she's working on Roanoke Island right now."

Amy's brow furrows, "Will she be back soon?"

"Oh, yeah." Moe lies; she has no clue really, "By the end of the week."

"Alright," Amy seems to let it go; she smiles radiantly, "Well, I can only assume you didn't come here to just see me. Malachi is out the back."

"Thank you."

"See you later, sweetie."

Moe twists her mouth into a grimace of a smile as she manoeuvres around the counter and through the back door. She comes out into a little overgrown yard with a metal shed and a mossy picnic table. Malachi sits at the table on his phone; there's a discarded set of hedge clippers next to him.