3a. Acafellas I

Seeing as though she didn't have practice today, Cataleya was waiting for Santana to finish hers. Bored of waiting around, Cataleya went to the dance studio, hoping that no one was there.

To her luck, it was empty.

Since she had been practicing at home more, Cataleya was beginning to feel more comfortable with doing ballet in public. However, she didn't bring her pointe shoes with her, so she wouldn't be able to practice the way she wanted to. 

But seeing as though she had the studio to herself, she was still going to make the most of it. After putting her iPod on shuffle, Cataleya began to stretch. Then, she heard This Woman's Work begin to play, which made her freeze.  

It was a song she used to dance to with her mother whenever it came on. It was a song her mother would sing along to, trying to sound like Maxwell but failing to do so miserably. 

If Cataleya wasn't dancing to this song, she was laughing at her mother's poor singing skills. Yet this time, she did neither. She laid on the floor and listened to the song. 

Hearing the song so many times, Cataleya originally thought it was a love song. But as she listened to the words, she realized it was a song about having a loved one injured and not knowing if they'd make it. 

It was about the rollercoaster of emotions the singer felt while waiting, waiting to hear if their loved one would live. 

As the song played, Cataleya was able to relate to it in a way she wasn't able to before. She felt a lump in her throat beginning to form as she thought about her mother. 

Not wanting to think about that day, but rather wanting to feel the joy she once felt whenever the song came on, Cataleya got up. She then went to her iPod and replayed the song, dancing as if her mother was with her. 

In the hallways, Mike heard music being played in the dance studio. He never went inside the room, but always wanted to.

Today, since he had time to spare until his mother picked him up, he decided to look through the small window on the door, not expecting to see Cataleya dancing. He watched in awe as she performed.

It was surprising to see how she transformed, no longer being the goofy girl he crushed on but a graceful dancer.

Cataleya was so caught up in the song that she didn't see Mike watching her. However, once the song finished, reality hit her—letting her remember that her mother wasn't there with her. She was about to replay the song when she finally noticed him, startled to see him. 

Masking how she felt—the longing for her mother—Cataleya put on a smile and gestured for him to come in, which he did.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare. I was walking by when I heard the music, and I got curious. Then I saw you dance, and wow, you're amazing." Mike was hoping she wouldn't get mad or feel creeped out.

"You're fine! I haven't danced in front of an audience in a long time, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. " Mike was relieved to hear that. "BUT you did see me dance, so show me what you got Chang." 

"Oh, but I don't dance." Mike was not going to dance in front of her when he just saw her dance so beautifully; he was insecure.

"That's not what you said last time. You said you danced in your room." She reminded him. "Look, I won't force you; I know how scary it can be. But if there's a part of you that would rather dance than watch someone, then don't let that fear stop you then."