5. The Rhodes Not Taken

"So what are you doing with Mike this weekend that I can't come over?"

After Mike said yes to Cataleya's offer to teach him, they decided that Saturday mornings would be the best time for him to come over.

It was also the reason why Cataleya said no to a Friday night sleepover with Santana. Cataleya wanted to be prepared for Saturday and knew she wouldn't be if Santana slept over. She also didn't know if Mike wanted people to know about it.

Because of it, she wasn't planning on telling Santana the real reason. But that went out the window when her dad asked what time Mike was coming over to dance during their ride to school with Santana in the car this morning.

She knew that Santana was listening and that she was going to ask questions. And Santana proved her right.

"I'm just letting him use the studio, and I'll be teaching him some things I know. That's it."

"Huh." Cataleya glared at Santana. "What? I just find it interesting that he barely spoke to you and now you're spending your weekend with him."

"Santana..." Cataleya was hoping that Santana would just drop it. Fortunately, she did when someone called out Cataleya's name. When they turned around, they both saw Abby, the captain of the girl's soccer team running up to them.

"Eww, she just screams virgin." Cataleya hit Santana on the side to quit it.

"You know I'm a virgin right?"

"Yeah, it explains a lot. Anyways, I'm leaving. If I have to spend one second with her, I'm going to have to go all Lima Heights on her ass."

As Abby and Santana passed each other, they gave each other dirty looks. Then Abby came up to Cataleya. "You and the girls, sleepover at my place this Friday after practice. Then Saturday, we practice all morning."

"Sorry Abby, I can't. I have plans this weekend."

"Well, cancel them. We have to be on our A game if we want to be champs again, and we haven't been. We need all the practice we can get."

"Abby, you need to chill.  We've won every game so far, and practices have been running late every day these past two weeks.  By the rate we're going, someone's going to get hurt. We need time to unwind. That's why I won't be joining this weekend."

Abby shook her head in disappointment. "What happened to the girl who was always ready to play no matter what? Ever since you've been hanging out with those glee kids, you've changed." 

Cataleya scoffed at the accusation. "Don't do that; they have nothing to do with this. And honestly, does it really matter if I'm there this Saturday? I'm just a sub."

"You know if it was up to me, you wouldn't be. You proved yourself last year that you deserved to be one of our forwards. It's just that this is Maria's last season, and coach wanted her to enjoy it."

"Listen, I get it. I'm not mad." And she wasn't. She didn't want to deal with the stress that came with the position. She dealt with that type of stress when she would have solo performances in New York, and she didn't want to deal with it again. Not yet at least.

Not wanting to continue this conversation with Abby, Cataleya was glad when she heard the bell ring. "Look, I have to head to class, so I'll see you in practice."

"Lunch." Abby corrected, which received a perplexed stare from Cataleya. "Since we're facing Shawnee this week, I'm having all the girls sit together. We need to come up with a game plan to destroy them."

Shawnee was one of McKinley's rivals, which meant nothing to Cataleya but everything to Abby. Wanting to leave already, Cataleya tiredly agreed. "Fine, I'll see you in lunch then."