the aftermath | 08

-

-

Blood. The scent of blood lingered in the air, so pungent it filled the whole room, encircling the other scents presented. Blood coated the concrete floor as if it were a blank canvas. Presently, the blank canvas was sheathed in red. A metallic taste arose whenever I swished my tongue in my mouth. A ringing sensation blared throughout my ears. The cold atmosphere of the room blasted my body, intensely, as my body shivered from the contact. My heavy eyelids fell each time I attempted to open them. My body pulsating in torture and ill-suited to move without assistance, all by Defaz.

Everything hurt. When I say everything, I truly mean it. An immediate shiver emerged when I finally felt my senses gradually return. The contact from the cold concrete floor induced a quaver that disperse throughout my body. A silent and eerie feeling occupied the room as I lay there. Helplessly dazing into the abyss, it returned its gaze to me. My curls fell perfectly into place as they were obscuring my vision, attempting to save me from the atrocity I endured. As my curls lay on my face, they shrivelled from the lack of moisture. I ran my fingers alongside my face as it progressively swelled. Recoiling at the feeling of it, I spat out the blood-shaping in my mouth.

The silence was no longer apparent when water droplets dribbled from the battered ceiling onto the frigid concrete floor, comprising a puddle. A home for the droplets.

It's in our human essence.

Our human instinct for one to be afraid of those who impose harm on us and make us feel inadequate. Defaz was a genius when it came to this, excelling at all aspects, and checking off the boxes. I couldn't show him that I was scared. I just couldn't.

Covered in my blood, replaying the moments throughout my head of what led me to this position.

Damn.

A sound interrupted me dancing with my thoughts. A creak emitted from the direction I was now staring at. I neared my eyes as my gaze fell onto the door. A light arose, enlightening the room, replenishing the dark that was once there. I squinted as the room was illuminated, impeccably making the room visible to me.

"Who's there?" I blurted to the figure standing at the door. My voice croaked from the tension that was placed upon it during Defaz's assault. I put my hands out to my side, attempting to lift myself. Slowly immersing from the ground as I propelled myself up with the little strength I had left.

Her eyes widen at the sight of me, as though she wasn't sure what she was witnessing. "Oh, Ada, what happened to you?" Her voice blanketed with concern as I felt her gaze skimming my body for signs. An indication as to what happened to me.

I recognized her. The same servant who gave me a tour of hell was looking down on me as if I was a stray animal. Though, I wouldn't blame her. Bloody, bruised, and battered. My eyes darted in her direction as I began studying her. She was still in the same attire as before, one that was revealing and clung to her body. Her mannerisms were, all the same, a timid innocent woman being preyed upon. Scoffing at the sight of her, I subconsciously turned myself around so that she was facing my back.

"Defaz...." I wavered before proceeding. Defaz had instilled this fear inside of me. A sudden mention of his name was enough to make me tremble.

"Defaz happened."

"I'm so sorry. It happens all the time, but never to this extent." She began to reluctantly stroll toward me. Each stride she finished, a remorseful inclination emerged. One felt sorry for me, another as though her only obligation was to serve Defaz. A conflicted individual approached me.

"I can only imagine", I said while toying with the dirt on the floor, unleashing a subtle chuckle. I grasp the side of my body holding it from the pain that was emerging.

"You, uh....going to be fine for your wedding, right? If not, you could suggest for it to be moved." She uttered so while faltering. Her tone shifted when she spoke of the word moved. The word "moved" left her mouth out in a coordinated way, as though she was beseeching me to do so.

"Oh, I forgot about that. You know? After receiving..this.. from my soon-to-be husband, the wedding strumbled out of my mind." I wasn't lying, it truly did slip out of my mind.

Her face began to redden as she frantically put her hand over her mouth, mumbling something indiscernible to me. Quickly retrieving herself, she bit her lip out of embarrassment. "Yes! No, of course not."

I watched her carefully as it all unfolded. Her shy-like disposition was immediately supplanted with a flustered one. I tilt my head gazing at her, as I trace my lips with my tongue, smirking before proceeding. I asked, flicking my tongue, "Is that all you came here to say?"

"Well, I have some good news and some bad news."As she said this, she began kicking at the floor, attempting to avoid eye contact with me as she looked around the room, anxiously tinkering with her fingers.

"Oh?" I observed her whilst she was playing with her nails. "Do tell."